Thermostatic Valve Piping Size

Users who are viewing this thread

bobcatm

Reaction score
I’m remodeling my bathroom including an entire shower rebuild so all the plumbing in the bath will be redone as the existing piping is old corroded galvanized.

I have a question related to the shower thermostatic valve.

The valve is a Porcher RP540 (I’m guessing it is identical to the American Standard Model: R540) with ¾ connections. As the shower will only have a single 2.5 gpm showerhead, ¾ pipe from supply to the shower valve and from valve to showerhead seems to be overkill.

My main concern is the volume of water in the pipes and the time for the hot water to reach the showerhead when the water in the pipes is cold (actually if my calcs are correct – the difference in volume of “standing†cold water in the approx 12’ run from the “supply†to the shower between a 3/4 and 1/2 pipe is about a quart or 4 secs of flow at 2.5 gpm). I do currently have a Lang recirculating pump on a timer under the sink nearest the shower – that has been a big help in warm-up time and water waste.

I don’t think pressure loss would be an issue with 2.5 gpm flow. (I’m not building a carwash as some of the newer showers appear to me)

• Did I goof in getting a valve with ¾ connections? (I bought it because I liked the porcher trim).
• Am I ok using ½ copper from the supply (approx 9 feet of pipe) and from thermo valve to shower head (3’) in this situation?

Thanks

Bob

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
• Did I goof in getting a valve with ¾ connections? (I bought it because I liked the porcher trim).

No, but you would be better with the 1/2 ported valve, that PorcherRP540 is available in 1/2" and the trim should adapt, but I would say the 3/4" would work.

• Am I ok using ½ copper from the supply (approx 9 feet of pipe) and from thermo valve to shower head (3’) in this situation?

Yes

BTW, good luck with the remodel.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks