electric variable flow valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Tinmaniii

Reaction score
I was wondering if any plumbers have seen a variable flow electric valve.
I have seen on or off electric valves. I would like somethng where I can choose the flow rate.
Kinda like a dimmer switch for a light.
any ideas?
Done some googling without luck, but that's a needle in a haystack.

thanks folks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The most likely item would be an electrical ball valve, similar to Conbraco, without the automatic controller that ensures that it is either fully open or fully closed.

loafer

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Electronic flow control valves are common in the hydraulic world, but I don't know how well they would work with water. I've attached a pdf file that illustrates some inexpensive ones. The high-end servo control valves cost over 2k!

Well, I can't upload the file because it is too big... I try to get a link.

http://www.brand-hyd.com/catalog.htm

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately what you want won't be cheap when you find it because it will require a stepper motor to keep it in sync with the electronic control.

Not sure what you want it for or how much granularity you need, BUT you could buy 2 irrigation control valves piped to two ball valves and have three settings; low(1 valve set 1/3 open), medium(one valve set 2/3 open), and high (both valves open). Buy a 24V transformer and a three position switch and your done for a lot less than 2K.

Just a thought.

Tinmaniii

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks all.
Sorry to say I don't need one anymore, my wife doesn't like my idea.

I'm re-doing my bathroom and for the bath/shower I was going to put a thermostatic valve in plus a variable volume valve so I could set the temperature for the shower and then just use the variable flow valve to turn it off and on and never have to fiddle with the temperature setting.
Then I was had the idea of adding the variable flow valve that was electrically controlled and hidded in the wall. Then, a flick of a switch and your shower is on (switch not in shower LOL ). My wife didn't like the idea I don't know why, but she did make a good point. I would have to get out of the shower soakin wet and go over to turn the shower off, not very practical I guess. I told her I will just put it on a timer, set it for 3 minutes and then it turns off, whether your done or not LOL. She didn't go for the infrared senso to turn it off or on either. hehe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No need to electronics here at all...thermostatically controlled valves typically work just like you describe - one knob or lever for temp that you can leave where you like it, and another for volume/on/off. They either use a wax cartridge or a bi-metalic strip device to set the temp.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Now, if you had teenagers taking a shower, then an electric normally open valve on the hot water would make sense. After about 15 minutes you could shut the valve, they would get a blast of cold water, and terminate the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks