How do you remove Moen Shower Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

saubouin

Reaction score
Here is the problem: When turning the knob on the shower faucet the water no longer comes on. However, if you remove the faceplate and use a screwdriver you can turn the water on and off. Do I just have a stripeed plastic knob or is the Moen cartirdge broken? Also I am having trouble removing the knob. I checked onthe MOEN web page and they say to use an allen wrench. But I don't see an allen wrench bolt anywere on the neck??Below is a link to a picture of the faucet.

shoebox.msnw

Sebastien

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does it have a little logo cover in the middle of the cap? It often prys off, exposing the bolt. Not really familar with that valve (I'm not a pro).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is a standard Moen chateau. The screw in the picture holds the handle on. If you remove the screw, you can remove the handle. It is probalby stripped.

Jaredsam

Reaction score
Same faucet, same problem

saubouin said:
Here is the problem: When turning the knob on the shower faucet the water no longer comes on. However, if you remove the faceplate and use a screwdriver you can turn the water on and off. Do I just have a stripeed plastic knob or is the Moen cartirdge broken? Also I am having trouble removing the knob. I checked onthe MOEN web page and they say to use an allen wrench. But I don't see an allen wrench bolt anywere on the neck??Below is a link to a picture of the faucet.

shoebox.msnw

Sebastien
I have the exact same shower and problem. Have you found your answer yet, I am still needing help.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen

I'll go with JIMBO and say that it's got to do with the handle assembly.
But where do you use the screwdriver to turn the faucet on?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"On further review" of the films from "the booth" it seems it may be a Positemp, which would explain why it comes on when he turns the screw. In any event, the first step is to remove the screw and handle. The problem will then reveal itself.

Oldwriter

Reaction score
Change the handle!

Well, I've worked with a lot of Moen controls, and it sounds like somebody (who shall not be named!) in your household gave the plastic knob a mighty twist! And broke off the little "stop" parts inside. That's my best guess.

Use a Philips screwdriver, take off the offending knob - and order up a good lever knob from Moen - a metal one. You will be much happier. Of course, you may want to replace the Moen cartridge at the same time - how long has yours been in place? If several years - it's time for a new one. But be sure you have a Moen "cartridge puller" to help you out - the old one will probably be fairly well "cemented" in with water minerals! Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks