chicago area plumbing question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Fabricator

Reaction score
hello, gents. another FNG here. i was referred by CX @ the john bridge tile forums.

i have a 13 year old condo. 1st floor, 4" slab. i tore out the fiberglass shower stall. i am putting in all tile. i want to use kerdi & kerdi drain.

i need to know what to do with my trap. it is cast iron, with rubber seals. condition looks solid.
i cannot take out any more than what you see. the pipe goes towards the inground a/c lines for my corner of the building, 3 floors. it would be great if i didn't have to take anything out. but i want to do the right thing.
i don't know what "code" is. i am in suburban cook county.

should i replace the trap with pvc ? or just adapt the kerdi drain to what i have shown ?

thanx you so much :)

Attachments

• IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 265

Fabricator

Reaction score
pm sent.

i am figuring that it is code. as the builder "cheaped out" in so many ways. and CI is much more expensive.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
pm sent.

i am figuring that it is code. as the builder "cheaped out" in so many ways. and CI is much more expensive.

Last time I done work in your part of the area, I was required to use cast iron still. Personally I would just call the building department and ask for the plumbing inspector, and ask him what the requirements are. Another way to find out with out calling is head to the local library. Ask for the building and plumbing codes amendments for your town and give it a read. Illinois requires all libraries to carry the local code and amendments to the code.

Fabricator

Reaction score
thanx, Ron. i am just going to leave it. i am not a betting man. but i would bet that it is code.

Fabricator

Reaction score
oh, another question.

can i use the kerdi drain, with a few inch long piece of pvc, down to the CI ?
i don't want to violate code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks