Submersible vs. Jet Pump Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdoll42

Computer Systems Engineer
Reaction score
A while back you guys (and gals?) gave me some great advice. I was looking at burying a concrete cistern to collect rainwater for irrigation purposes. Now the time has nearly arrived and I've got a few quick technical questions:

1. If I use a submersible pump, I plan to lay it a few inches off the bottom of the cistern. I'd like to run the water line from the pump out the side of the cistern, keeping it underground until I get to my pressure tank. What kind of piping is recommended for this? I'm talking a vertical distance of probably 5-10' and horizontal distance of maybe 20'. Would schedule 40 work, or do I need to get something else? I'm concerned about the torque off the submersible pump wreaking havoc on the pipes.

2. If I use a jet pump, I'd most likely set it and the pressure tank on the top of the cistern in the warmer months, then just drag the entire assembly into the garage for the winter. I would want something fairly portable, so I was thinking for the suction line using some pipe similar to what my inlaws have on their pool. It looks like a PVC pipe, but is somewhat flexible. Is that a no-no for a suction line? Would that work for the pressure side of the setup? Or should I use rigid schedule 40?

Thanks as always. You all are great!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Stay with the Submersible. Pipe type is just a matter of preferance. Unions make it easier to remove things later.

bob...

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Tank

Just a little comment on your tank setup. I have an underground storage tank kind of like your going to set up. I made mine out of a new 1500 gallon cement septic tank. I buried it about 6 inches below ground level and put a cement box around the access hole with a hinge lid so it can be locked to prevent children from falling in. I used one of the 4 inch holes in the side to access the inside. I use the 4 inch pipe to fill and also ran a 2 inch flex suction line inside the 4 inch and it goes to the 100 gpm pump which is inside a building beside the tank. The fill port is located in the center of the building with quick couplers. LB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks