220v/50amp to Shop

Users who are viewing this thread

DesertJim

Reaction score
Hi Gang, I just joined this forum.......I don't think I have been here before....not sure.

I'm a beginning welder and have managed to stick up a couple of metal buildings and so far they stayed "glued" despite the wind here in NM. I used a wire-feed and the beads aren't "purty", but.......................

I just acquired an almost new Lincoln AC-225 and my shop isn't wired for 50 amps. I was discussing this with my friend, who wired my shop for 30 amps.
We buried 10g wire and ran it to a sub-panel in the garage.

He thought that I might be able to just use a heavy duty 4-6 gauge extension cord to run from my the electrical input at the house since I don't weld that often and not for long at a time.

I would rather have the shop wired for the welder, actually, but there are other things to consider, not the least of which is the cost. Main thing is that I don't have room for another double breaker in the box.

The only thing requiring more than 20 amps in my shop, other than the welder, is a large 220v air compressor, which we wired directly into a 30 amp breaker. Since I don't have room in my existing electrial box (at the house) for another double breaker, another thought was why couldn't we go ahead and run a 4-6 gauge wire to the shop and then run a 30 and a 50 off it for the compressor and welder(using the space of the existing double breaker).
Zat make any sense?

I'm shooting in the dark at a black target that isn't even there, so any help will be more than welcomed.

Regards,

Jim

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, there are a few things you could do. But first, we need to know a few things.

First, did you run conduit from your panel in the house to the panel in the shop? If so, What size is it?

Second, What amperage panel is in the shop, and how many spaces does it have?

Third, What brand panel do you have in the house?

DesertJim

Reaction score
:eek:
Well, there are a few things you could do. But first, we need to know a few things.

First, did you run conduit from your panel in the house to the panel in the shop? If so, What size is it?

Second, What amperage panel is in the shop, and how many spaces does it have?

Third, What brand panel do you have in the house?

No conduit was used.

The panel in the garage has plenty of spaces, but not sure of the amps. I believe, though, it is a 100amp box. My friend gave it to me when he found he needed 200amps in his big RV garage.....for whatever reason.

The panel at the house is a GE.

It's a little weird because the guy who built this house lived in the garage while building the house. We have the box on the outside, another panel in the garage and another one in the kitchen.......and the one we added to the shop.

I have almost decided to replace the 30amp plug for the RV (which is there under the box at the house) with a 50amp plug. Then make an extension cord for the welder and use the same plug. I don't weld that often and when I do, I could unplug the RV, which will kick over to gas for the refer.

Either way, it seems to be a bit more pricey than I had figured. Maybe I should just sell the welder :eek: and get a better 110 model.

Regards,

Jim

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You should change the wiring going to your shop, size it for 70A, add a proper disconect, feed the inside panel, run a circut for your welder. Can't cost that much more than a over sized extension cord.

DesertJim

Reaction score
You should change the wiring going to your shop, size it for 70A, add a proper disconect, feed the inside panel, run a circut for your welder. Can't cost that much more than a over sized extension cord.

I have decided to do just that, Dave. I've got my "grocery" list made, except for the wire. May look for some Mobile Home cable. My neighbor is a mobile home installer, so he will probably be able to help me there.

Looks like the biggest part of the job will the be trenching, and I'm not considering visiting China in the process <smile>.

Someone said you can't use Romex underground? Are they nuts or is everyone around here nuts?

Many thanks,

Jim

killavolt

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may not use Romex underground. You can use UF cable which is rated for direct burial. Myself, I would run pvc conduit and pull your wires through that. In the future, if you need to make a change, it's much easier than digging up the UF.

DesertJim

Reaction score
You may not use Romex underground. You can use UF cable which is rated for direct burial. Myself, I would run pvc conduit and pull your wires through that. In the future, if you need to make a change, it's much easier than digging up the UF.
Yes, I think that is the way to go! Wish I had done it before :rolleyes:.

Now I gotta try to see if I can find some mobile home cable.

Regards,

Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks