Bathroom Exhaust-Roof Venting Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
What are the options? I only see the low profile square metal boxes with a built in damper...would this be the best choice? I see it being covered in snow in the winter - is this a problem in the NE?

Can I PVC the exhaust out? I can put an elbow on it to prevent rainwater entry.

I'm a ************er but want to do it once and do it right.

Thanks...

Molo

Reaction score
Good luck getting a response to this one. I posted the same question with no response. I did end up using a plastic housing with damper/flapper inside. The owner of a local reputable roof company told me that he often used them. I'm in ny state. I like your idea of going up higher out of the roof with pvc. maybe some pros will chime in. or maybe it's more of a construction/roofing site kind of q

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've had a metal (aluminimum, pre-painted black - bought it at Grainger) low-profile vent on my roof for a number of years with no problems. Now, I must admit that I only regularly use the thing in the summer to minimize the added load for the a/c. On occasion, I've used it in the winter, though. I usually leave the door open in the bathroom and the added humidity in the house just means that the humidifier doesn't have to run as much, and that action keeps the room from being too steamed up. This may not be an option if you have numerous people taking showers...I also shave in the shower, so a frosted mirror isn't a big issue either. I have a vent as part of my tubular skylight (www.solatube.com) that has a remote, in-line fan. That assembly has a damper in it, then there is a second one at the roof vent and the discharge is through a 6" insulated duct that is fairly straight (up) from the ceiling. I do not notice any cold air leaking, nor have I had any condensation dripping.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You could run your PVC out the roof at least 1ft above put 2 90s or U bend
plus a screen at the opening.This will give you what you want.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks