Can I add a booster pump after a water softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

hottubbrad

Reaction score
I have a well system with an 80 gallon pressure tank. This feeds a standard resin bed water softener.
The house water pressure is not great and can only be fixed by bypassing the water softener.

Now, I am going to add a UV water treatment with a pre-filter. (due to coliforms in water now.....)
I fear that my pressure and flow is going to be dismal after I do this.

Can I add a booster pump after all of my filtering equipment? Would this act to increase the flow through the filters??
My option is to add a storage tank and a pump but I would really like to do it with a pump. Any idea of pump size or how to figure out the flow numbers without cavitating?

Thanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I suspect a booster pump could draw a vacuum and collapse the down tube in the softener. If you have a pressure drop across the softener it either needs to be serviced or it is very undersized.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You might be able to just increase the pressure coming from the pump to the softner. Maybe as easy as just increasing the pressure switch setting. If you have to boost after the softner, you will need to draw from an atmospheric storage tank of clean water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks