stack vents and roof vents-

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have my new basement vent stack up to the attic and am preparing to take it through the roof. Our plumbing code states that the vent terminal must be at least 10 feet from an air intake.

I have these roof vents at 10 foot intervals across the length of the roof-
staticVents-slMetal.jpg

I believe these vents are considered "exhaust" and not "intake" vents so I am guessing that the 10 foot rule should not apply.

I'm a bit unsure of myself so I am here to ask the experts- what say you?

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
You are correct if what you show are for a toilet fan, dryer vent, or hood exhaust, the 10' rule does not apply. The rule would apply it they were intakes, but it does not look like it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is nothing hooked to the roof vents. They are for attic ventilation only.
This is how it was done before the integrated ridge vent systems became popular.

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
I agree with Basement-Lurker. What they are worried about is pulling the odor into the inhabited area which would refer to HVAC ventilation intakes or makeup air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks