Lobster tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Lobster Tub

Reaction score
I need help. I've own a seafood shop and keep our lobsters in a cast iron tub. It's a eye catcher but is now rusted, one leg broken and too big for the corner of the room. I would like to put in a cement tub or something as unique. The water is recirculated from the harbor outdoors and I'm not sure how the cement tub would be functional. Also, where would I go to find a cement round tub? Andrea ( sag harbor, ny.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A concrete tub would need a crane to set in place.
I once lifted a cast in concrete shower pan that took four plumbers to move.
I can't even imagine how heavy a tub would be.

You could perhaps pour the concrete tub in place though, for that I would contact someone that works with tile.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Concrete is porous and could potentially harbor some nasties, should you ever get something in there. Probably okay, but I'd ask around.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Contact a local granite contractor - they can make a granite tub for you - epoxied together on site and gorgeous - not as porous as cement and very durable....

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want something that has a sense of decor, consider a wooden tank. They can be made from redwood or other rot-resistant wood. Don't use pressure treated wood.

You could also get stock watering tank made from fiberglass reinforced plastic and put a decorative wood or stone surround and coping around it.

If you get a tank of white polyethylene the dark lobsters would be easy to see. You might even put some light under or around it that would get through the translucent polyethylene. Again, it would be nice to surround the plastic tank with wood to go with the decor of the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rombo

Reaction score
call in someone that does fish tanks i'm sure they can come up with something creative

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks