Grout on shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had some tile installed in a shower, and while the tile work is fine, there's dried grout on the shower base.

Any ideas on how to clean it off without ruining the (plastic) base? The base is textured, if that makes a difference.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming it is a cement based grout, try some plain vinegar...it will disolve the calcium. Limeaway may do it. This shouldn't hurt a plastic base, but check the manufacturer's cautions or warnings to see if a mild acid is a problem. If it is a sanded grout, be careful about rubbing...the sand you wash out will scratch the plastic. Maybe take a paper towel, saturate it with the liquid and let it sit overnight covered with some plastic so it doesn't evaporate. I do that if I didn't clean my mixing bucket really well. I'll have a slurry of sand and cement particles by morning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks