Capping a basement shower rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Hotbacon

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing our basement and would like to cap off the roughed-in shower drain in the basement of our 23 year old house. The current drain configuration consists of a 4" cast iron pipe w/ a 4" x 2" rubber donut/gasket installed, all underneath the concrete slab. The centerline of the cast iron is off-center with the centerline of the hole in the slab...making everything just a bit more difficult to get to. I've recently installed DriCore over the concrete as part of the finishing process. I realized after installation that I'll need to cut out a square in teh DriCore and install an access panel to fully cover the hole...but that is besides the point. See below for a pic:

http://basementrefinishing.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

What is the best way for me to cap this drain off? I see the following options:

1. Pull the donut out and put a Fernco cap over the cast iron pipe. This will probably require chipping out some of the concrete, and digging around the pipe for proper access. Once installed, fill the entire void w/ gravel/sand up to the level of the concrete slab.

2. Cut a 2" PVC piece and properly get it down into the donut. Cut the PVC to level w/ the concrete slab, and use a Fernco cap over the PVC. Fill the void w/ gravel/sand up to the level of the concrete slab.

3. Pull the donut out and install a 4" x 2" Fernco coupling, then a 2" PVC pipe. Cut the PVC to level w/ the concrete slab, and use a Fernco cap over the PVC. Fill the void w/ gravel/sand up to the level of the concrete slab. This will probably also require chipping and digging.

Obviously I'm leaning towards #2 because it's less work. However, will this plan pass code? The guy at the big box said to just install a generic rubber cap w/ a hose clamp and bury it ("it's done all the time"). Will it seal properly being off center (and old)?

More than likely, this drain will never be opened up again. But I want to leave the option there if we should ever get rid of the house. Any help is appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks