The end of woodworking in America, does anyone care?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg=details&id=14122

One million, 700,000 square feet under roof, all filled with skilled worker and machine tools. GONE.
The workers? to fast food, retirement by force, and the dole, and the machines to Vietnam and China.

Once these tools and skills leave, America is one heartbeat closer to a fourth world economy.

Those that advocate higher taxes must advocate to stop this hemmorage of jobs and essential skills.

I say lower the taxes and raise the import duties on the dumped furniture upon America.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I care. Which is why I buy American when I can as long as it's not a car (they just can't build 'em, but bless 'em they do try).

I say raise taxes so that we can train the workforce to be more productive and fix it when it gets ill.

Raising import tariffs won't do much good. That only hurts the consumer, both rich and poor.

I say target the rich.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nothing like a good Jaguar eh Ian....

4433340944_47b573e359.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That car in its day would have outperformed and outlived any of yours.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Okay, I person cares. The rest of the USA fiddles as rome burns with an asian match.

Not going to be ANY health care except bandaids and moonshine after all the real jobs disappear.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I care.
I was invited to Taipei Taiwan while I was in Hawaii. Maybe I will go there this year and check things out.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, watch where you step in the early morning hours in Kaoshsiung.

Cookie

Reaction score
The capitol is where you will be flown into and if you head south, make sure the weather is good, and your visa will allow your stay if extended.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was hoping I could get some hiking in too, though the invitee wasn't too interested in that idea.
It may never happen, but it would be fun to do something like that. Extended visa? Are you thinking I will wind up working in a factory? I was thinking it would be more like a vacation and seeing some new things. I've never been farther then Hawaii, but I have friends from Asia, and it would be nice to see where they are from.

Cookie

Reaction score
No, I didn't think you would want to stay longer, but due to weather it can happen. If so, if caught in the southern part, it is difficult to get to the north back to the airport, and they, the military, expect you to get there, your visa will not be extended, and you could be arrested. Due to storms, typhoons, earthquakes, which can happen all together, the roads and highways are closed. Take your friends with you that are from there is a great idea.

Your pictures and vacation looked like a lot of fun. Your mom is so special.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
[
QUOTE=Terry;282650]I care.
I was invited to Taipei Taiwan while I was in Hawaii. Maybe I will go there this year and check things out.
[

Thanks for the vote.

The furniture dumping is coming mostly out of Vietnam and China.

I would advise a trip to Eastern Europe and Russia before they become too westernized.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ballsvalve, my son and I were just talking about outsourcing, ( degree in IT) and what is happening and been happening so far at least with computers, well, the companies are coming back to the American workers because of the poor work they perform and their lack of decent communication skills, which probably is the result for their poor work skills. And, when they do come back to using American citizens here, it has been costing them, and rightfully, so. It is hard to buy American but someday that wil change.

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg=details&id=14122

One million, 700,000 square feet under roof, all filled with skilled worker and machine tools. GONE.
The workers? to fast food, retirement by force, and the dole, and the machines to Vietnam and China.

Once these tools and skills leave, America is one heartbeat closer to a fourth world economy.

Those that advocate higher taxes must advocate to stop this hemmorage of jobs and essential skills.

I say lower the taxes and raise the import duties on the dumped furniture upon America.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The furniture dumping

Those countries are not dumping furniture i.e. selling below cost, at least not in the US market.

The real dumping is happening in African markets. Which is where all the Chinese seconds are sold that American consumers would not buy.

Besides, not everything US made is great.

I bought a Colgate mattress recently and that was great.

But then I bought some Armstrong ceiling tiles, and they flake like they were made in China.

Canada always makes great things. And they don't shoot people. It's a bit like Europe.

So what are you going to buy from Canada today?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
They may not shoot people, but our neighbor whom we loved, was expedited back when he was to be a major drug dealer in our schools. He was great with the kids, especially at Halloween, dressing up, giving out candy. It still makes me sick to think of it.

Ian, even the poorest people in America have so much more than those in places like Africa, where, water, and toilets, are non-existent. Imagine that. In some cultures it is impolite to use both hands eating, since one is for cleaning after going to the bathroom, and, then, no water to wash the hand used.

I don't know how much you traveled into those countries, but, even those seconds depending on what it is, is better than none. American people even the poorest, have it better, and even the poorest gives to help those in other countries. American people are generous and kind, giving to a fault. We are a nation, that I am proud to be part of, and guns are a neccessary evil. Your county is heading that way, out of need, Ian. It will come about, your own people want to be able to protect their families. I would protect mine, like a momma lioness.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Actually, the World trade Org and the American version both filed huge fines on china and Vietnam for bedroom and living room furniture for dumping. Unfortunately, it took 6 or 7 years of government babble, by which time our industrialists gave up on the insults, retired and auctioned off their machines.

Canada makes great stuff, but face the same problems as us.

As to Africa, they take boatloads of our old motel and hotel furniture that get removed by "chain" hotel laws every 5 to 7 years, and since there are no more independants to take them, they go to the third world. We dump our good junk on them.

And the boats are lining up for containers, because all the chains have mandated FLAT SCREEN, thin tv's, which means MILLIONS of "entertainment centers" are to be trashed and all the 150 pound glass TV's with them. It's quite a big issue in the industry.

And a disaster for the enviroment.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And a disaster for the enviroment.

Well, filthy Americans and their large cars have been heating up the Earth's atmosphere for decades. Americans are threatening the very existence of the polar bear and several small island states will drown.

A few old TVs in a landfill is nothing compared to that.

It's 34 degrees in DC today. And it's winter!

Canada makes great stuff, but face the same problems as us.

Good point, and just like I wouldn't buy an American car, I wouldn't buy a Canadian one either.

http://conquestvehicles.com/

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Now are we filthy Americans throwing out old tv's as in, old tubes with old capacitors? If so, some Diodes are collectables.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
California tacks on 10 bucks to electronics for a fund and a factory to safely re-utilize the materials.

Most of it goes to China where kids beat them with hammers, get lead poisoning, make toys and beads out of the solder, and re-poison the American children. Great system.

'Filthy' America heated the atmosphere with the gunfire from carbines, torches that built the Liberty ships, and huge airships that torched the Germans intent on making England a past tense nation. A lot of that blood spilled by my great uncles in Normandy probably killed a few polar bears from the heat also.

We did only what Russia and China start to do now, and certainly would have done sooner given the chance, but on a much grander scale.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Then please stop now and start doing something that you might be good at.

Services is one thing. Hairdressers and plumbers.

Then we can start with green jobs. Skilled manufacturing, building wind turbines and the such. To do that we need to tax dirty energy. That means $5/gallon gas. And I would be willing to pay that.

And we can also start start fixing America's crumbling infrastructure which, unlike British infrastructure, was never built to last because :a) you were too cheap; and, b) not clever enough to build it right. Here, the bridges, levees, roads, sewers and power grids were only built to last 50 years and they are all falling apart. It's a disgrace and fast becoming like living in the Third World. But "who pays?", I hear you all whine. WE DO. With higher taxes and a bigger Federal Government because the pesky States aren't man enough for the task.

So pay up, or shut up. We need a Federal solution to America's woes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks