screw hole in copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Jackie123

Reaction score
Hi,

I was putting a plywood sub floor down today in my entrance way on top of plank flooring and screwing the plywood down. When I was finish I proudly looked at my work. Thinking I was getting closer to laying down my tiles. Then I looked at my raditors and was hoping I was not all that dumb, unforunatly I was, removed the questionable screw was greeted by a shower.

I have now drained the heating system(thank goodness it is summer) and have removed the new plywood and have a small hole in the inch coffer pipe. Is their some sort of patch I can put over the hole or would I have to have the pipe cut out and new piece put in its place. If I have to remove the pipe I will have to pull up some of the plank subfloor.

Jackie

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A copper slip coupling will fix it right up. they come in many sizes. slp coup.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Slip coupling is the answer. There is no satisfactory patch which can be applied to the outside, notwithstanding the claims of Billy Mays.

Wallskev

Reaction score
An optional "Quick Fix without fully cutting the pipe"

is to cut a slip fitting in half and create a saddle, clean and debur the saddle , solder the saddle over the small screw hole with the proper flux and solder.

They also make a "Powerseal Repair Clamp" type product for this but may not fit under the plywood properly.

repair-clamp-sewerratz-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To do that properly, cut it OFF CENTER, so you create a piece with a slight "C" appearance. That will "snap" onto the pipe and create the pressure necessary to make the tight fit a proper solder joint requires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks