BW Ultra High Efficiency Energy Saver

Users who are viewing this thread

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
Anyone had experience with the BW ultra high efficiency energy saver unit, model EFR‑1‑60T1206EN? See it here: http://www.bradfordwhite.com/products2.asp?id=1&product_id=218

BW doesn't list MSRPs on their site, so I'm wondering about cost.

Also, the BW site says, "this model qualifies for the current tax credit of 30% (equipment and installation cost) up to $1,500." However, the www.energystar.gov site says, "There are NO residential storage tank water heaters that can qualify for the tax credit because none can meet the Energy Factor requirement of .82." Is BW right and energystar wrong?

When I bought my HVAC system, the Carrier dealer talked me out of buying Carrier's top-dog efficiency unit--he thought it was overly prone to breakdown, given all the esoteric circuitry, etc. I'm wondering if the same caution would apply here.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that must be real new

thanks for the info...
never seen one of these yet

I will look into this one tomorrow..

that looks pretty nice and is probably going to cost me

my guess about 1600..

I would prefer it over a tankless.....

4 mag rods in this puppy
a thermostatic mixing vale??

does not say what the tank warranty is

the only thing I think would be wise to
flush out the unit bi monthly

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Its a condensing tank water heater very similar to the Eternal Hybrid or Vertex type units...

Except Bradford White makes it....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Part of its performance comes from operating at 160 degree water temperature and a built in mixing valve to reduce it to a usable temperature. They are VERY expensive, but I could not give you the price for two reasons. (1). It has been a while since I priced one, and (2). I do not know what plumbers in your area add to the cost for a selling price.

Reaction score
Also, the BW site says, "this model qualifies for the current tax credit of 30% (equipment and installation cost) up to $1,500." However, the www.energystar.gov site says, "There are NO residential storage tank water heaters that can qualify for the tax credit because none can meet the Energy Factor requirement of .82." Is BW right and energystar wrong?

When I bought my HVAC system, the Carrier dealer talked me out of buying Carrier's top-dog efficiency unit--he thought it was overly prone to breakdown, given all the esoteric circuitry, etc. I'm wondering if the same caution would apply here.

We are still awaiting the official EF ratings on the condensing tanks, they should be complete in early 2010. The manufacturers obviously believe they will qualify at .82.

Can't say how trouble prone these might be. I imagine they will be similar to power vented types maintenance wise. There is usually a learning curve for installers and manufacturers on new tech, so being an early adopter is risky. Also, early adopters usually end up paying much more than when something becomes mainstream a few years later.

As to price, what really matters is what the wholesale cost is. Plumber mark up on the tank itself is not a useful measure. What matters is how much in time and materials they need for the installation compared to a standard tank. It wouldn't be hard for a plumber to price these completely out of any economical range since they will be expensive to begin with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

quote; As to price, what really matters is what the wholesale cost is. Plumber mark up on the tank itself is not a useful measure. What matters is how much in time and materials they need for the installation compared to a standard tank

Unless YOU can buy it at wholesale, the wholesale cost is MEANINGLESS to you. You will pay whatever the plumber charges for the unit, regardless of what he paid for it. The time and materials compared to a standard tank are almost immaterial since it is basically just another type of standard tank.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
is it any good????

Its a condensing tank water heater very similar to the Eternal Hybrid or Vertex type units...

Except Bradford White makes it....

redwood, you need to write an article on it..for your web site.

do you know anything about it , are they any good

being made by Bradford White is the best selling feature to me...

Reaction score
}
Unless YOU can buy it at wholesale, the wholesale cost is MEANINGLESS to you. You will pay whatever the plumber charges for the unit, regardless of what he paid for it. The time and materials compared to a standard tank are almost immaterial since it is basically just another type of standard tank.

IT IS NOT IN THE LEAST MEANINGLESS TO ME!!!. Responses like that gets folks scratched off any quote list. The basic cost matters a great deal. This squirreliness of hidden pricing does your profession a real disservice and drives away customers/creates DIY'ers. Heck, it gives car salesmen a leg up--at least I know their cost to within a few percent. ;)

Since we don't even have a ballpark price for these things it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in getting quotes from plumbers.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
you are the man.....

Funny you should say that Mark...
I did a while ago... It's old enough that it isn't on "The Latest" list of articles...

http://411plumb.com/bradford-white-residential-ultra-high-efficiency-gas-water-heater-review

Is that Redwood on the ball or what? :D

yep, you are on the ball.

why did you not tell me about this one???..

I was not even aware of this new fangled heater from Bradford white...

have you ever gotten a price on one yet???

I am getting the feeling that it is going to be my next toy
to install on that gas meter down in my laundry room..

I have been running my 75 gallon brad white for about 3 years now
with that gas meter and should have enough data on my yearly consumption..

I get the feeling its got to be cheaper than a tankless
give better all around demand and efficinecy
and probably about as good or
better than that evian unit.....

do you know of anyone that has one yet??

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I haven't done one yet but I did check it out quite well at the supply house.
I imagine the California crowd might have tried one of these being low NOx and all...

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
I wllllet you know tomorrow

I haven't done one yet but I did check it out quite well at the supply house.
I imagine the California crowd might have tried one of these being low NOx and all...

I will call my dumb ass sales man tomorrow and
get him to give me a quote and try to get me one for my house..

it dont look too bad, and at 95% it ought to pay for itself before I die anyway...:D

well maybe it will ..that all depends

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
price

Even if you knew the wholesale price of the heater, it would NOT change my price for it one penny. And if my wholesaler sold it to you at my price instead of the list price, I would scratch him off my list of sources. I do not operate like a car salesman. One reason being that I do NOT have a "higher up" in the back room who can keep changing the price according to your attitude, and still wind up getting the price he intended to originally. Your confidence in the plumber should be whether he can perform the job at the price he said he would, NOT what you think you should pay. And if you think your plumber is expensive, just imagine what he would charge if he actually listened to the gurus in the seminars and national magazines when they tell what we SHOULD be charging for our services, (usually twice or more what we actually do).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks