Convert dryer vent to range hood vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

petergunn

Reaction score
I recently replaced my gas dryer with an electric condensing washer/dryer combo unit so I have an external vent (3.5" vertical) in my apartment that I no longer use.

Assuming it was appropriately cleaned could I use it to vent fumes from a range hood?

I believe the current recirculating microwave hood (GE XL1800) can be adapted for external venting. I would need about 10ft of ducting with 3x 90 degree turns to reach the vent. Would an additional blower also be required somewhere?

Just brainstorming...

PG.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Assuming your vent pipe is 4" diam. that is a little small for a range hood, but would be better than nothing.

petergunn

Reaction score
Yes, 4" metal duct. I'm on the top floor and travels what looks like 4-5 feet vertically through the roof.

I found a PDF online for that suggests the hood is capable of handling up to 140ft of duct (with 10 feet deducted per 90 degree bend) but requires 6" diameter ducting. So I guess I'm stuffed.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to put a reducer on that, given that it's just a range hood.

I'm stuck with carbon filters.

Hube

Reaction score
I'd be tempted to put a reducer on that, given that it's just a range hood.

I'm stuck with carbon filters.

huh!!! Why on earth would you suggest putting a REDUCER on a vent that already is not as large as it should be???

actually in my opinion, this 4" vent could do ok to some satisfaction depending on the size of the fan that will exhaust this range hood air.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
huh!!! Why on earth would you suggest putting a REDUCER on a vent that already is not as large as it should be???

actually in my opinion, this 4" vent could do ok to some satisfaction depending on the size of the fan that will exhaust this range hood air.

I think he just means a reducer to match the outlet of the hood to the 4" duct.

I agree that exhausting through the 4" is preferable to his current non-vented situation. It may be a little loud, and not move as much air as designed, but I still think better than not.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
... apartment .... microwave hood (GE XL1800) .... 10ft of ducting with 3x 90 degree turns to reach the vent. Would an additional blower also be required somewhere?

1. Never add "an additional blower "
2. "Apartment" = tell your landlord everything
3. Ten feet and three elbows and a 4" duct = an insufficient flow; you will not be satisfied OR you will have had some fun trying something out; the next occupant after you will not be satisfied.

Brainstorming is good. Be sure about what you later implement.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While you may no longer need the dryer vent, the next occupant of the apartment may, so it's not a good idea to retask it. even though the filters on the range hood trap most of the grease, they still let a little through. The more elbows, the more chances of that grease accumulating. Grease is worse than lint, and a grease fire is a possibility. If I was the landlord, I'd not approve that. Now, depending on where a new vent might be put, I might consider venting the range hood out on a shorter, more direct path, especially if the tenant was willing to pay for it.

Some things can be done in your own home, but an apartment is much more restrictive. It's generally, what you see is what you get.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Not to mention the next tenant's lint is going to stick to the grease and it will be a mess (if it doesn't catch on fire).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks