Help! Glued down laminate tiles

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
We are trying to remove some horribly generic looking laminate tiles that appears to have been glued down with some mean glue. Digging and trying to break pieces off isn't so easy. What kind of tools do I need to lift these off? My son is helping and we're using something that looks like a knife (not the kitchen type), but man oh man that's a laborious undertaking.

Any short cuts? Is there a specific tool to get them off? What about the horrible glue that is left behind? We want to lay tiles afterwards, probably porcelain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the glue, buy a wide razor scraper with the long pole and some extra blades, it will scrape the glue off. For the flooring, maybe a cat's paw? or a bar with about a 2" wide sharpened edge. You can use your hammer on the other 90-degree bent end to pry under the stuff. Might be a better way...not sure.

cat-claw-tool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Goof Off is an incredible cleaner-I always keep a can in the garage.
For tough spots use this in conjunction with whatever method you use.
The good news is that it will really help remove or loosen the glue.
The bad news is the fumes are a problem-be careful not to use to much all at once. Use a lot of ventilation.
You Do Not want to stink up the house with this stuff on a large project.

I use Goof off on all kinds of tough removal situations. Paint-Glue-Varnish etc. When finished--put the rags outside until dry or dispose of properly.
Pick it up at any big box store.

(I'm not a pro)

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Be VERY careful using any kind of solvent on concrete where you eventually want to install tile. It can drive the glue down into the pores, and prevent the thinset from holding! It is best to avoid any solvents. When you are done getting as much off as you can, you need to do a water drop test. Sprinkle some water down on the concrete. If it soaks in, thinset will hold. If it beads up, you will then have to grind (scarcify) the top layer to get to virgin concrete, or you will have the tile popping loose.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used a grub hoe (a mattock) to rip up laminate from a concrete floor at my son's house. It combines the hammer and the cat's-paw in one tool and I did about 150 sq ft in an hour.

I had to sharpen it a bit by beveling the inside of the blade. You need a grinder of some kind for that process. Actually, the cheaper homeowner/garden variety works best because it has a thinner blade than the heavy duty version.

The advantage of the grub hoe is that it has a 3 ft handle and you can swing it with both hands without bending over. Set your feet apart so you don't hit your shins if you miss.

I ground off the glue with a 7" angle grinder because I was concerned about leaving anything that would affect the thinset. However, the dust was terrible. There must be a better way.

A heavy duty wire brush on the angle grinder just smeared the adhesive.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Sometimes a heat gun (hair drier on steroids) will help soften the glue for the razor knife/scraper...
Try not to use solvent if it can be avoided as mentioned before....

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Are you talking about a floor, countertop, wall, etc...? How much area are we talking about?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
thinsets can stick to cutback adhesive

just to complicate things and confuse you.... some thinsets are designed to stick to glue residue on concrete. Cutback adhesive is dark brown and rubbery. According to some thinset instructions, cutback adhesive is OK to thinset on. Check it out.

david

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Many of the modified thinsets will work over cutback, but if you read the fine print...you do need to get nearly all of it off AND the slab must absorb water, not bead it up. I don't think what you have is cutback, though. A heat gun works much better on things like vinal tile or sheet material. The laminate won't have that great of a heat conduction, nor will it likely get soft enough, quick enough to help. You can try it, but I'd be surprised if it helped much. WIth a flexible sheet, you can peel it away as the glue gets soft, can't do that with laminate.

Try the tools mentioned, it should go fairly quick if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will criticize and tell me what an idiot I am .... but I've been using a propane torch for years to remove asphalt tiles and anything that is glued down. Yep, it is hazzardous and yep, need good ventilation and eye protection & gloves... be safe and don't burn the house down.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I will post a pic tomorrow so you can see what lovely vinyl tiles these people put in the bathroom. It is the type you see for commercial use and especially at Wally world's older stores.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Here's the beaut I'm dealing with. My manicure no longer exists:D

Attachments

• tileflooring3.jpg
    tileflooring3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 4,739

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
These are commercial tiles (not porcelain/ceramic). I call it laminate but really have no idea what they are made of.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Well, at least you're not dealing with a terribly large area. I would just keep chipping away and get it as clean as possible. Most bathrooms are not large enough too maneuver a long handled scraper, which is what you really need. Another possibilty, as a last resort, might be to just put down a subfloor right over the top of that mess.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
We have used a chipping hammer with a large scraping blade in the past - don't know if it would work in your situation...

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Here is another shot of the glue. I'm grateful that this is a half-bath.

Attachments

• tileflooring4.jpg
    tileflooring4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,049

Pewterpower

Reaction score
That's a plywood floor, isn't it? How's the bounce? You might have to put in a substrate (like cement backer board) anyway, even after all that!!!

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Betcha a heat gun or propane torch will soften them up (and the glue) to make removal easier... use a stiff scraper. You might break the handle but a tap with a hammer to chisel them up can speed it up too.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have done a few that worked well with a good paint scraper and hammer......as long as the area wasnt to bug.

CCbrands1

Reaction score
when was your house built?

these MAY be VAT's ( vinyl asbestos tiles )

are they 9" or 12"?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks