what can I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

skidoo

Reaction score
I hired an HVAC to put in a new Heil gas air furnace. Size 88ooo BTUs 80% AFUE for my 1300 SF house. It's a straight ranch 1 floor. Also a new Heil AC coil & condenser.
The problem is the HVAC person installed a 110000 BTUs 80% AFUE furnace. It's too loud,powerful,and hot for the house. I paid half of amount of money to do job. I also havn't had the final inspection done yet. Is this 110000 unit hot big for my house? It is a single stage can I make it a 2 stage somehow to keep output a little lower? I also have the plastic type flexy 6 inch duct I know its not that great but I couldn't use the galv. type in my house. Too many angles. Anyway is the flexy considered a firehazzard with all the heat from the 110000BTUs? These are the Heil models I wanted furnace- G8MXN 0902116A 88000BTU 80AFUE with a quiet comfort ac- DX 1300-H4A330GKD -coil END4X36L21A I got the AC coil & cond. right but I got a G8MXN1102120A2 furnace. I don't think the furnace is compatable with the outside compressor either. your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't answer "What I Should Do", but I think it's safe to say do not change anything. Besides answers from knowledgeable people on this forum, I' suggest you contact other HVAC companies and get their opinion.

Reach4

Reaction score
I hired an HVAC to put in a new Heil gas air furnace. Size 88ooo BTUs 80% AFUE for my 1300 SF house. It's a straight ranch 1 floor. Also a new Heil AC coil & condenser.
The problem is the HVAC person installed a 110000 BTUs 80% AFUE furnace.

Do you have that in writing? Make them make it right. Don't pay, and ask if you will need to consult a lawyer to get things right.

How is their BBB rating? They may be quite willing to correct things.

Regarding upgrading to two-stage at this point, you could ask about that. Bringing in another company as an adviser, as Gary suggest, sounds smart.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;It's too loud,powerful,and hot for the house.

Loud and powerful? Maybe, but it could also be undersized ductwork. We would have to do a heat loss calculation to determine whether it is the correct unit for your house. However, the thermostat should keep it from being "too hot".

skidoo

Reaction score
The installers said they would get in touch with a tech to ask questions on the compatability with the ac compressor and the furnace. I'll give it a couple of days to see what they will come up with.I like the company and installers, it just was NOT the size furnace that I wanted.

skidoo

Reaction score
I do have the size and model I wanted on the contract. I'd rather not get a lawyer. Also to bring in another company, I got quotes from some of them, they'll tell me it's good for me.The old "you get what you paid for" Thanks though.

skidoo

Reaction score
Wrong furnace

I forgot to say, The furnace the installers got rid of for me was a Trane 90000 BTU 80 AFUE single stage. Great furnace, 27 yrs it lasted. Now the Heil is a very nice furnace,but with my setup I have 6" duct, 1- return 10X24" , 1300 SF house. Basement no heat. Don't want it to be heated. Plain and simple the 110,000 BTU Heil is too big. All of the HVAC quotes call for a 88,000 BTU furnace.Just a simple mixup I would like to get fixed.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What does your bid say? if it says 88K furnace - that's what the contractor should have put in.

I agree - give him a chance to correct the situation, don't pay anything until the mix up is resolved.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without a heat loss analysis, even an 80K furnace may have been too big, you won't know for sure. But, if the old furnace kept the house warm, you certainly didn't need a bigger one, and may have been a candidate for a smaller one. Hassle is, most of them don't get all that small, so that limits things some.

A single 6" duct for the whole house is likely to be noisy, and may compromise the furnace's heat transfer...they are designed for some amount of air volume across the heat exchanger...the restriction of that duct may mean either it goes through really fast (and likely noisy), or it can't handle it and the safety circuit may shut the furnace down if the heat exchanger gets too hot.

If they let the paperwork on the furnace, it will usually say what the min/max cfpm is, and the minimum size of the supply duct. Typically, you do not want to run the outlet into a reducer.

Maybe post a picture or two.

skidoo

Reaction score
dj2 The bid was for a Heil 80% afue single stage with no # of BTUs on it. I had to write the BTUs I wanted with full model # ,so I did and I also told the office when I gave them half the money if there were ANY questions or concerns to call me. with ALL my numbers. NO one called so I thought I was good to go. Again I do like the company so I am going to give them some time but not too much to fix. Also after looking at the Heil website I found out that the 88000 btu has 4-burners, the 110000btu has 5-burners. Also 110000- has 1HP motor VS 88000- 3/4 HP so it needs more AMPS as well. Wasted gas and electricity in my mind. I just hope they will be fair with me and not jerk me around. I think they will they are a A with the BBB.

skidoo

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. I'm gonna wait and see what the company does. I,m new to the web & HVAC .I'll post at a later date . for now Thanks again
skidoo

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
BBB ratings is nonsense.

Put everything in writing from now on.

Write them a letter, requesting to replace the furnace to the size indicated. Give them a few days to rectify the situation, say 5 business days.

First sign that they are trying to jerk you around, call the contractor's board in your state and make a complaint. They'll advise you how to proceed.

I understand that you like them and they like you. Kiss kiss. But this is business, and every party should practice correct business, not wrong business.

Good luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
An 88,000 BTU 60% efficiency furnace would be about the same heat out as a 67,500 BTU 80% efficiency furnace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks