Raised head Clean-out plug removal Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I've searched the archives, but not found an answer that directly helps me.

I have a brass drain clean-out plug that has a square raised head that measures .85 inch across.
It's positioned in a way that I can't get a crescent or a pipe wrench on it.

I'm looking for a clean-out wrench, an 8 point impact socket, or ANY tool that will allow me to get a good bite on this square head from ABOVE.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to specific tools that will help me get this plug out without having to drill it out?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANY socket or impact wrench will round the edges of the plug. You need a piece of square steel tube, (probably 1" square 1/16" thick), that fits over the head, then you can use a pipe wrench on the tube.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Sounds like the square shape will give a much better bite.
I'll try it.

I also scraped the crud from around where the threads of the plug are, and have been putting PB Blaster on it twice a day since Sunday afternoon.
Hopefully that'll help some.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I'm from Indiana and I sure do miss PIZZA KING PIZZA!!
I know this is an old post but since I am bored and it is late I will give you and anyone else an idea about removing clean out plugs. First drill a hole in the center with either a unibit or a hole saw and then saw a cross hatch making four pieces and carefully remove them. Try not to let them drop down the drain. Those loose pieces could later cause another drain stoppage. Another thing to try is to actually tighten it to break it loose.
I really hate it that a contractor will install a clean out below flood rim level of anything! For instance under a sink. I would say this plumber never had to unstop a drain. Once in awhile I will see one that is above a toilet or urinal or water fountain or sink. It almost brings a tear to my eye. It still makes me mad when I remove the clean out plug cover and find it eight inches inside the wall and tightened so tight that I cannot break it loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks