Comfortnet Thermostats vs comparable thermostats with fan speed programming?

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls49

Reaction score
I've just purchased a new Goodman heat pump and Air Handler. The air handler has a ECM fan motor and the brochure says the fan speed is variable. I'm guessing with the Comfortnet thermostat which costs about 379 dollars. It is a touchscreen etc..

I am wondering if there is a plain non-touchscreen thermostat I could buy with same programming capabilities as the Comfortnet thermostats costing alot less than 379 bucks.

Does anyone have any info to share?

Appreciate the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know how that one works, but on my variable speed air handler, there is no external control on the fan speed from the thermostat. There is an adjustment to specify the max CF/M for your system programmed into the air handler, but none in the thermostat which only has on and auto settings. On mine, the fan only runs at a very low setting in the on position unless heating or cooling is called for, then it adjusts based on the time the call is, ramping up to max if there's enough time, then back down to either off if in auto, or the lowest speed if in on.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
there is probably a honeywell which will do the job. ( The Goodman stat is quite likely made for them BY honeywell). Price will be about the same. When you get into the hi-seer/hi-featured world, just open up your wallet.

jfls49

Reaction score
More info to add

Reading over the installation manual for the air handler, it says the Comfortnet allows the Heat Pump to tell the air handler fan motor how much CFM is needed, when im in the cooling and heating mode. The air handler regulates how much cfm is needed when in the constant fan and emergency heat pump modes. So basically I only have the Comfortnet feature in the air handler and not the heat pump unit. I am wondering will I be able to hook up the Comfortnet tstat and would it fault out without the heat pump comfortnet unit not capable. I guess I need to call Goodman tech people for specific answers.

I'm even comtemplating getting a variable frequency drive and hooking it up myself to the ECM fan motor in the air handler. I just need to find a thermostat that will output 0-10vdc or 4-20mA signal to the drive to make it work. Maybe I can program one of those Arduino microcontrollers at Radio Shack to work.

there is probably a honeywell which will do the job. ( The Goodman stat is quite likely made for them BY honeywell). Price will be about the same. When you get into the hi-seer/hi-featured world, just open up your wallet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks