motor sizing for radiant floor heat

Users who are viewing this thread

aztom

Reaction score
I've got a loop of 475' of 1/2" (375 and about another hundred through three flat panel collectors,in parallel). There's about 14 elbows in the loop.
How big of a motor and what type would get the glycol flowing fast enough to warm my concrete floor without being too big or heavy or expensive or noisy or power-consuming?
I know my little Watts 500-800 1/25 hp. will hardly move the glycol at all.
Should I be considering a 3 speed pump to help adjust the temp of the glycol.(i.e. not letting it boil, or be to cold to do any good)

Reaction score
So if we round off to 500' of 1/2" pex

It would take 19' of head (8.1 psi) to move 1 gpm, and 65' of head (27.7 psi) to move 2 gpm. So there isn't much flow in your future.

If you put 2x Taco 008 pumps (fairly high head vs. energy used) in series (output of 1st goes into 2nd) they would pull about 1.68 Amps & move about 1.2 gpm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks