Help finding a fleck 5600 Piston

Users who are viewing this thread

croghanite

Reaction score
A parts fellar told me my existing piston is "proprietary" and I would have to find the installer to buy a new piston. The trouble is, I have no way of finding the installer

The difference is the metal part of the piston at the top. Compare my picture to this Fleck 5600 piston http://www.softnerparts.com/product...bly-5600-Softener---60102-00---346010200.html

Where can I find a replacement for the one in my picture?

Attachments

• DSC01893.jpg
    DSC01893.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 874

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is one of the It is but it is not..
The straight 5600 only has one metal plate under the control head.... this has what looks to be 2 plates..
and the drain looks to be different from the straight 5600..
Is there a locking type collar holding the valve body to the tank?

croghanite

Reaction score
This is one of the It is but it is not..
The straight 5600 only has one metal plate under the control head.... this has what looks to be 2 plates..
and the drain looks to be different from the straight 5600..
Is there a locking type collar holding the valve body to the tank?

There is a locking type colar and the base of the valve body has has an O-ring instead of threads. There is a plug where the brine valve is supposed to be and the drain looks just like a 5600. My system does not use the brine.

I can take whatever pictures y'all need.

Attachments

• DSC01902.jpg
    DSC01902.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC01897.jpg
    DSC01897.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 591
  • DSC01896.jpg
    DSC01896.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,326

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
And that is the Fleck 5600.... yours is a spin off of it.
It has for the most part the control head as the same, with one change to the cam, and it has some of the same parts to the valve but there are some differences.

I have one if the ones that you are talking about in a box in the shop, I will look it over tomorrow to see if there is a way of changing over the piston that you are using right now to the one that one would find on the standard 5600....

Why is it that you are looking at replacing the piston?

Last edited:

croghanite

Reaction score
OK, I understand. So how do I find out what piston, Seals and Spacers, etc. to buy so I can replace them?

I reckon my main question is what criterea should I use to figure out the replacement parts?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sign that the piston shaft has a challenge is water stain on that white end plug, the gray shaft getting marked up and water standing in the control head.
The other sign that the piston and or seals would be water going to the drain when the system is at home or in service.

If there is little to no water flow past the system when in service, and great flow when system in bypass.. then the spacers could be filled with what ever,, like iron build up.. or even that the media is spent and needs to be replaced.

croghanite

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I need to know where I can buy the replacement piston from.

What do I use as a reference (part number, etc) to buy the part. I need to buy a Piston and seals and spacers.

Where can I buy a piston that will replace my existing one?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will take a look at the one that I have tomorrow and see if the piston that is in that one like yours look like the ones from the normal Fleck 5600... it might be a simple cross over with no changes or there might be a little work for the change over.. I am not sure at this point, but so far from what I am seeing it would change with little to no challenges... but I need to double check.

croghanite

Reaction score
Thanks alot! I appreciate it. I look forward to see what you come up with.

I have gone through alot of research figuring out how this system works and what is needed to maintain and service it. The only ting stopping me from doing a total maintenance job including a rebed is this dang piston!!!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is a pain when the system has some changes by the seller because they have enough money to get the factory to make a few changes so that they can make it their own.... and then find the part........arg................

Or how about this one...
Major Dealer closes down and the head office says that they are looking for a new dealer.... mean while any customer that has older equipment or equipment under warranty is going to have to just deal with it.......... or they are dead in the water....

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
That one sure looks like it with the way the piston looks..
The piston that came out of the valve like yours is a little different from standard 5600, and the cap is more like the 6700 up flow valve.
Your valve is likely to be an up flow brine , used as a filter set up by the company that did the spin on your system.

croghanite

Reaction score
That one sure looks like it with the way the piston looks..
The piston that came out of the valve like yours is a little different from standard 5600, and the cap is more like the 6700 up flow valve.
Your valve is likely to be an up flow brine , used as a filter set up by the company that did the spin on your system.

Yeah and the green on the bottom of the piston matches the green in my existing one. theres another thread I did where you can see the base of the piston and it;s green

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is not so much the color as it is the cuts or shape of the piston, where the indents are at and where the large parts are at.
Have you had your piston out?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
From what I was seeing in the photos and the that I would not use again but came out that one that valve that I have, it should work, has the same look to the piston and the same key at the top of the shaft ..
As for the seal/spacer kit.... same as any 5600........ 60125 is the number that I have for the fleck sea/spacer kit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks