Are there alternatives for a Neo-Angle Corner Shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vince51

Reaction score
I'm planning on having my master bathroom remodeled. The bath area is a neo-angle corner shower since the master bathroom is a small space. I'd like to replace this shower with something other than another neo-angle shower (since cleaning, maintenance and wobbling walls have always been a problem). Does anyone manufacture a bathtub/shower small enough to fit into a square space of this size (might even be able to extend the length a little along the wall). Are there other alternatives?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not a big fan of the Neo-Angle showers. I had one in my last home. When you drop the soap and bend over to pick it up, your butt winds up knocking open the door.
If you have wobbly walls, that just means you went cheap.
When ever I install a neo-angle, I bring in a glass guy that knows his stuff, and the doors are rock solid.
The kits at big box for a neo are a joke.

The Shower head and valve for a neo should not be installed "on center", but at 14-1/2" from the wall. That puts you closer to the long wall, so that you don't have to stand right next to the angled cut away.
If you have room for the neo angle, you may be able to get away with a 36x36" pan with a wall framed in, or by using a double threshold and using two walls of glass. Again, use a shower door installer, not the flimsy kits.

I like to go with a pan, and either tile or cultured marble for the walls. I don't like the kits, the walls are too short, and they don't cover the tear out. I would rather have a solid surface that covers the tearout, and not have to do any drywall repair, texturing and painting. Why add $1000 to the cost for drywall and paint when you can spend a few hundred and have a much nicer looking shower, one that is tall enough for the shower doors.
Have you ever seen a shower door that is taller then the enclosure? It kind of sucks and the home owners have a big case of buyers remorse when they see how bad it looks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe a scale drawing of what you have to work with would help. If you go custom, tiled shower, you can make it any size or shape you want. If you stick with a preformed pan, your choices get smaller. If you want to think about tiling, check out www.johnbridge.com , it isn't as hard as you might think. They've helped thousands of people...they're having a contest for the one millionth post right now.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm in the final throes of completing my neo-redneck double shower, helped mightily by the folks at johnbridge.com. It's a Kerdi shower, which you can learn about on that forum. Easy to build, leakproof, and you can make it any size or shape you want.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks