Shower P-trap ontop of slab floor

Users who are viewing this thread

amorbey

Reaction score
Hello All, I am hoping to install a raised redi tile shower basin on top of a concrete slab floor. However, I do not have the option of drilling into the concrete slab to install the p-trap. I would like to minimize the step up into the shower. Therefore, what is the smallest size p-trap dimension that I could use in order to make the shower base as close to the original floor as possible? I am hoping to direct the waste flow to a water pump contained inside of the wall and towards the existing waste drain pipe. I am not familiar with plumbing regulations... Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A shower requires a 2" drain line and trap, so you probably won't like the step-up height. If you can use gravity, that is always the best choice rather than pumping it. You'll have to break the concrete to put a sump pit for the pump, regardless. So, why can't you tear up some more concrete to use a conventional height for your shower? If you can't break the concrete at all, you really can't put in a shower. All of the pumps/basins I've seen (there may be some) require it be below the height of the floor so the water can drain so you don't have the chance of the pump running dry.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You will be lucky to get the drain and trap into less than an 8" step up, and it could be more depending on the drain unit in the shower. ANd that would make the concrete over the pipe so thin, that it might cause a crack in the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks