Repair leaking Delta shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

marvingreenberg

Reaction score
Hi. I have a leaking shower valve. Are there seals or other parts that can be replaced on this model (some variety of Delta single handle) valve? I couldn't find a Delta parts list or anything online.

I can't find any model number or marking, and couldn't discover what the next step in disassembly is. There is a snap ring holding the metal "cam" onto the shaft. With that off will the valve assembly just pull straight off?

Any ideas? Thanks.

shower-valve-front.jpg

shower-valve-side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vistaman

Reaction score
Hi. I have a leaking shower valve. Are there seals or other parts that can be replaced on this model (some variety of Delta single handle) valve? I couldn't find a Delta parts list or anything online.

I can't find any model number or marking, and couldn't discover what the next step in disassembly is. There is a snap ring holding the metal "cam" onto the shaft. With that off will the valve assembly just pull straight off?

Any ideas? Thanks.

The pics are kinda fuzzy, so I'm not 100% on this. It looks like one of the 13/14 Series cartidges. That brass "Bonnet Nut" holds the cartridge in the valve. It unscrews and then the cartridge will slide out. If it's a bit grunged up or old, it might require a bit of effort, but it will slide straight out. It is turnable to help in removal, once you get it out past the "key" on the side of the cartridge, where it lines up with the valve body.

The 13/14 Series Cartridge Assembly is RP46074, which is made up (front to back) of the following individual parts: RP46070 Cap Assembly, RP4993 Seats abd Rings Assembly, RP46071 Housing Assembly, and finally RP14414 O-Rings. If no one else pipes up with better model info, you might consider contacting Delta directly, they are quite helpful. Call 1-800-345-DELTA(3358)
between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.(CST), Monday through Saturday.

vista

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Actually, I think it is a Delta 1600, and the cartridge is Delta # RP1991

Google RP1991 for pics of the cartridge

Attachments

• 5217468.jpg
    5217468.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 22,229
Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you will take the cartridge out and take it to a "real" plumbing supply house, they will have the repair parts you need. That's one big advantage in using a quality product to begin with. Don't bother with a big box store, they may or may not have the parts you need and if they do, they may be third world clones.

marvingreenberg

Reaction score
Wow, this forum has some active participation by knowledgable folks. So the bright brass cap comes off? The problem I had was that when I put a pipe wrench on that, the whole valve was turning, bending the pipes that went to the joint behind. And the darker brass sleeve behind turns freely so I couldn't use another wrench to hold it. But I guess I'll revisit now that I know it is supposed to come off.

Thanks for all the links, model numbers, pix. I'll google some more and visit my local Noland plumbing tomorrow.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This particular design is the bane of plumbers and Saturday afternoon DIYers! Yes you can damage or destroy the valve if the bonnet nut is stuck.

First, try an overnight soak in plain white vinegar. Actuall, spray some vinegar on it once an hour, several times, then let it soak.

It is not unusual to have to slice across the nut with a dremel, or a hack saw blade held in hand. Try not to damage the threads on the body. The nut can be replaced.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The problem is the nut is thin and when you use channel locks or pipe wrenches to try to turn it you flatten 2 sides and lock it in place. If you twist too hard you will destroy the valve and turn a small job into a big one!

An application of heat to the nut works well in most cases. Once flat spotted it becomes a matter of squeezing at multiple points to restore it to round where it can be unscrewed.

Last edited:

raTm

Reaction score
Thanks a lot jimbo, looks like the VINEGAR made the trick to "unjam" the brass bonnet.

I put vinegar for 4-5 times every 45 min or so and saw that the vinegar was getting "green" when dropping in the shower (so it was doing something).

Then I took a strap wrench (take a big one, not the little one) and without too much effort the brass bonnet unscrew.

One thing I must say is that I already started to cut the brass bonnet before putting the vinegar, so I wonder if the cutting helped to let the vinegar go inside the threads...
Fortunately I didn't damage the threads.

raTm

Reaction score
Just want to add that the brass bonnet was REALLY really stuck... I tried a lot of things before going with the VINEGAR.

I tried with two pipe wrenchs, tried to heat it, WD-40, etc....

Jumpyg

Reaction score
This particular design is the bane of plumbers and Saturday afternoon DIYers! Yes you can damage or destroy the valve if the bonnet nut is stuck.

First, try an overnight soak in plain white vinegar. Actuall, spray some vinegar on it once an hour, several times, then let it soak.

It is not unusual to have to slice across the nut with a dremel, or a hack saw blade held in hand. Try not to damage the threads on the body. The nut can be replaced.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just had to thank Jimbo for this excellent advice. I had a stuck bonnet nut on a Delta 1400 shower valve. I needed to switch out the cartridge due to a leak. Spraying vinegar on the bonnet nut a dozen times yesterday afternoon and evening and letting it sit all night did the trick. I was able to get it off. Then I soaked the nut in vinegar to get the rest of the corrosion off. I put some anti-seize on the threads so hopefully this won't happen again.

A+ advice Jimbo! :cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks