Price Pfister Diverter problem

Users who are viewing this thread

FrancisKuo

Reaction score
I replaced the diverter stem on a PP because the old one was not diverting all the water to the shower head (over half the water was still running down the tub spout.) The old stem had a crack in the washer so I thought replacing the whole diverter stem would solve the problem but over half the water still runs out the tub spout even with the new stem in place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you get the proper diverter stem with the white nylon diverter washer in behind the nose of the stem?

Might try removing the diverter stem, checking the nylon washer, and then reinstalling to make sure it all seats well.

FrancisKuo

Reaction score
It is the exact stem and the nylon washer is behind the nose of the stem (that was the washer that was cracked before.) I did not replace the seat. It looks like you need a special tool to remove it? I also removed that new washer and put it in the old stem but that didn't help either.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rubber flat washer and seat keep water from going to the shower head when the spout is in use. The nylon back seat washer is the one which keeps water from going to the spout when the shower head is used, so I still suspect your problem is in that area.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pp

The seat is not the problem. When you install the diverter it has to be the exact dimension to "double seat" in the valve. If you left the old black washer on the body when you installed the new one, that would make it too short to double seat. Or if the new gasket is too thick it will also prevent proper installation. One thing to try is to remove the plastic gasket above the body threads and wrap a thick layer of Teflon tape at that point. Then when it is installed the tape will compress to whatever thickness is necessary for proper tightening.

FrancisKuo

Reaction score
You're right. Replacing the seat did not help. The washer on the stem body was thicker than the old one and I tried installing the stem without the washer but that didn't help either. As I mentioned before, I did try only replacing the broken washer behind the nose with a new one and used all the rest of the existing old stem and parts, but that didn't work either. I'm helping a friend who just moved into this house with this issue so we don't know how long it's been like that or if it ever worked properly. Any other ideas? Thanks to all your responses to try to help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At this point I would carefully inspect inside the valve body with a flashlight, looking for remnants of old washers and gaskets which sometimes lodge inside there.

Coreyrocknroll

Reaction score
Did you get the proper diverter stem with the white nylon diverter washer in behind the nose of the stem?

I am having the same problem as this guy. Can someone please educate me on the “nose” of the stem terminology? I am missing the nylon diverter washer and I want to make sure I purchase the proper one and install it correctly. Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
By "nose" I mean the very tip of the stem. On PP and others, that end looks just like the hot/cold stems. There is a rubber washer attached with a screw. On the PP, and others, that rubber washer seals when you turn the diverter in Clockwise for TUB function. It stops any water from going out into the shower pipe. Behind the nose, is the nylon washer. When the diverter is turned CCW, for shower function, the nylon washer is pressed against a surface inside the valve body, such that water is blocked from flowing to the passage which leads to spout.

Asktom

Reaction score
I agree with Pp. Another possibility is that the leak past the diverter washer has gone on for so long that the surface it seals against is eroded. I have run into that before and was able to overcome it by sustituting a 3/8" union washer for the diverter washer. It is thicker and soft so it mashes in and fills the gap. The Larsen supply number for the 3/8" union washer is 02-2004, but is available from others with different numbers. Get a couple if you find them, they may not last as long as the nylon original. That said, I think Pp is probably correct.

Coreyrocknroll

Reaction score
So when you say there is a nylon (diverter) washer "behind the nose" Is the diverter washer attached with the same screw that holds the rubber washer? Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks for your help Jimbo.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
So when you say there is a nylon (diverter) washer "behind the nose" Is the diverter washer attached with the same screw that holds the rubber washer? Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks for your help Jimbo.

No....you completely unscrew the stem out of the body. The white washer slips over the stem, they you put screw the stem back in to the body, and put the whole thing back into the wall.

Coreyrocknroll

Reaction score
I did just that before you wrote back. I went to my local hardware store, puchased a PP repair kit for the diverter, removed the value body and then the stem and inserted the diverter washer behind the nose and then put it back together. It worked like a champ! Thanks again for your help Jimbo! Man it would of been a little more self explanatory if even part of the wash stayed intact. I guess life would not be so interesting if everything was easy. Blessings, Coreyrocknroll.

TSTheBeav

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem. PF is no help what so ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I bought the exact same diverter I replaced the seat there is nothing blocking the pipe inside. I really wish PF would answer their phone.

Ra1der5

Reaction score
Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I'm having this same issue with a three-handle PP (hot, cold, and shower diverter in the middle). Water flows from the tub faucet alone without a problem. Switch the diverter to the shower, and half of the water continues to flow out the tub faucet.

I first tried an after market diverter. I replaced the seat and cleaned everything out. I used silicone tape on all threads. I've pulled this thing out and reinstalled it at least a dozen times. No change.

I took the after-market back to the hardware store, went to a plumbing supply shop and got the original PP replacement. I told the sales person about the issues and what I tried. He said I was doing everything right. I've installed the PP replacement part three times now with no change.

Water pressure is fine. There doesn't seem to be any leaks after installation. I'm totally confused. For what should be a 30 minute fix, Ive spent about eight hours installing and reinstalling.

Am I missing something?

Could something else be causing this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

There is a nylon washer between the stem and the body of the stem that floats back and forth. That is what diverts it.

Ra1der5

Reaction score
Terry... thanks for your reply.

Yes, the diverter I'm using is in the middle. PP included all washers in their package. I believe you're referencing the small white nylon washer behind the nose of the diverter in that photo. The design is kinda cool... When the diverter is extended, that washer floats on the stem. When the diverter is retracted, the tapered nose aligns the washer in the correct position.

Both nylon washers are in place and the new PP seat is installed. Still, half of the water is coming out the tub faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks