20-25 Foot Depth-What to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

dbuffington

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

We recently purchased a piece of land in the woods several miles from the last electric line.

However...

There is a 6-inch well with a water depth of 22-23 feet. (The previous owner had planned to build a cabin, as we plan to do some time in the future.)

Lacking electricity, we need a hand pump to use the well. But the depth sounds like it's at the end of the acceptable range for a pitcher pump. Will a better quality pitcher pump work? Or should I be looking at the more sophisticated lever pumps (www.simplepump.com)?

Thanks!
Dave

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A pitcher pump will work if you are satisfied with carrying water from the pump to where you are going to use it.

You can also get pumps that will pump to an elevated tank that will provide enough pressure for toilets and faucets but probably not a real shower.

If you have a hill it is possible to make a nice little water tower to pump to. I would keep the tank small so it doesn't have a lot of stagnant water.

A pressure tank would not be a good choice because there is so little effective drawdown and somoeone would have to pump it up after every 5 gallons or so of usage.

dbuffington

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, there is a slope, and yes, a water tank/tower is part of the long-term plan.

But for now, we'll just be taking our camper to the site. So lugging water to the camper from the pump is no big problem. Thanks!

dbuffington

Reaction score
Bob NH said:
A pitcher pump will work...

Ooops! I forgot to ask...

Do you -- or anyone else -- have any experience with the "Ultimate Pitcher Pump" offered by survivalunlimited.com?

Thanks!

R

Rancher

Both of those sites have pumps that use a deep well cylinder that pumps up, rather than pulls up like a pitcher pump does, they would work, and so would a wind mill, check into buying an old windmill before buying a hand operated pump.

Rancher

dbuffington

Reaction score
speedbump said:
Or you could use the Oasis hand pump. Hand Pumps

bob...

They look interesting. Have you used one? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
No, I never have, but then I have never installed the Monitor Deep Well Hand pump either. I do know they both work, one is just plastic and the other is cast iron. Big difference in price. I just sell them.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks