Help with purchase Rheem or Bradford White ?

Users who are viewing this thread

chipperxyz

Reaction score
Hi all,
We recently added a new bath as my kids are getting older and the other2 bathrooms were very crowded. We now have 2 full baths and the shower only bathroom. No one here bathes at the same time so we don't run out of hot water. I do set a timer for daughters showers already and she can not take over a 10 minute shower.

Here is my question:

Our current water heater is 50 gallons and is working just fine and never given us trouble but it is 10 years old and plumber said it is not up to code. He suggested replacing it. He however only uses AO SMith and I have read to much here to know I don't want to go that route.

I have found a plumbing supply that carries Rheems and they suggested a 75 gallon for a 3 bath house. I have yet to find anyone yet (I have called about 10 places so far) that carries Bradford Whites.

If I were to find a Bradford White, do you think that since they are so efficient, that a 50 gallon BW would be sufficient? Right now our old 50 gallon is keeping up okay, but my kids will be teenagers within a couple of years so I'm wondering if 75 might be right choice. I do realize the 75 will require plumbing upgrades as well as extra space which we have in an additional closet we can steal space for the water heater.

I wash alot, but we have an LG Front Loader and I wash alot of loads on cool temps...

If anyone would like to give me recommendations I would appreciate it. I'm getting weird looks from the plumber about being brand picky.

Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your plumber needs to discover the customer is always right!
http://bradfordwhite.com/finda.asp
While the size may work in your situation if you don't follow the sizing guidelines and sold the home the next homeowner may find it undersized.
A home inspector may note it as a problem or, they may not. Who knows what they think they should write down for gigs...

chipperxyz

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood, that will simplify the search. I have so far called 2 of the numbers and both were no longer in service. Tried a third one but phone busy. I will keep trying. I had not even thought about resale, as I plan to be in this house till the end of time. That is a good point though.....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
We as plumbers are pretty well bound by correctly sizing the unit.
If we failed to provide the correct amount of hot water it would be our negligence.

chipperxyz

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood, good advice and thanks for that link. I found a plumber who sounds very nice and knowledgable. He is coming out today to look over the situation, see what changes need to be made, and then bid it. I'll post how it goes. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks