Closet Flange arrangement....

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
I am rounding the corner on my basement plumbing and had a final question on plumbing the toilet.

For the toilet I have a 4x3 hub/hub closet connector. I will need to put a 4" pipe into it to bring it to the floor level. Since I am not 100% sure what I will be doing with the floor I am not sure how high to bring the pipe. Is it better to just bring it up high, then cut after the fact? My fear is that I will not be able to cut the pipe flush with the floor, without damaging the floor. I was originally going to bring it about 3/8" - 1/2" above the concrete, then even if it was a little lower than then the floor, when I put the flange in, I would still get about an inch of engagement. What is the best way? Do you glue the flange in (I assume you do).

Basically, I guess the question is, should I bring the pipe about 3/8" above the concrete. I figure if I do Tile, I will have 1/2" of floor, but to be safe I would be a little short. The closet flange has about 1.5" of engagement, so even if I was off by 1/4" or so I assume I would still be good????

TIA...Mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you use an internal mount flange on the 4" pipe, you can leave it high then cut it flush with the floor when done. Just make sure it is plumb, or the flange won't sit flat. If you notch the tile first, you won't have to drill holes in the tile to mount the flange to the subflooring.

I'm not sure you're using that fitting properly, though. See what the pros have to say. You may have it in backwards, and for what you want, need a 4x4. You normally don't want to go from a bigger to smaller pipe, but I think there are some exceptions right at the flange...check to be sure.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Leave the riser high. I put down blue painter's tape, and then duct tape before cutting with either a sawzall or a Japanese pull saw. The painter's tape is just extra insurance so the duct tape would come off easier and not leave a residue that would inhibit the sealer for the tile from penetrating.

100_2147.jpg

100_2150.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks