D/W supply line?

Users who are viewing this thread

wrdtlpf

Carpentry/Handyman Service
Reaction score
Hi All- Remodeling my sister's kitchen and the new layout relocates the D/W and the existing supply line, soft copper, doesn't reach. I'm a carpenter/handyman and was wondering if there's something similar to a refrig supply kit or are guys using that PEX(sp) tubing? Do you have to use copper sense your taping into the hot water side? Thanks for advice-

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The most DIY friendly choice would be a 3/8" braided stainless steel dishwasher supply line. Available in 30", 48", 60", 72". Easy to connect to copper tube with a 3/8 compression union.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And you can also attach several of these braided stainless steel hoses together with a 3/8" compression union just get rid of the nuts and ferrule.

Do not use the Watts Floodsafe dishwasher connectors. Big Orange is pushing them hard. They are a useless product prone to nussance trips which will shut the water off to the dishwasher and I have seen the connector just before the Floodsafe Valve fail flooding a house. If you think about it, they are a dumb idea! Imagine why you would need a valve to protect you in the event a "No-Burst" hose Bursts. I fail to see any logic there.:confused:
no_burst_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
! Imagine why you would need a valve to protect you in the event a "No-Burst" hose Bursts. I fail to see any logic there.:confused:
no_burst_dw.jpg
I never thought about it just like that, but I agree completely!

Personally, I have never seen a failure of a braided ss hose, except small leaks at the rubber gasket seal. There was a picture posted here once of a supposedly burst hose, but the picture seemed to indicate possible external damage. In any event, I think the consensus would be that the braided hoses are quite reliable, and much less prone to any catastrophic failure, especially compared to the valve-with-integrated-corrugated-line...which are ubiquitous in this area, and have caused more floods than I can count.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I had a call some time ago where a Watts Floodsafe supply had failed. It failed at the point indicated in the picture below.

brokenconnector.jpg

It had been installed by the customer, and all parts were retained by the customer. I assume for damage claim purposes. I did however look at the method of assembly and was less than impressed by the size and strength of the locking clip holding the compression nut on the assembly. It was little more than a fine wire.

In any case the compression nut was attached to an open spouting stop valve, and the Floodsafe valve was laying in a rather large puddle of water that it failed to prevent because by the very nature of the failure it was not in position to do so.

In their defense it was installed by the homeowner and may have been overtightened. But I have never seen this failure on any other braided supply and I do question the stength of the locking clip I saw.

I am tempted to go buy one and disassemble it and several other brands of the regular braided stainless supplies just to get pictures of the assemly methods used to post... Maybe even clamp them up and use a force gauge to measure where they pull apart at.

Last edited:

wrdtlpf

Carpentry/Handyman Service
Reaction score
D/W supply line

Thanks guys for taking the time. I like Redwood's idea of linking braided lines together with a coupler...that ought-ta do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks