Older Moen Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

xrionx

Reaction score
I live in an apartment, and my landlord is footing the bill for repairs, but I want to keep this as simple as possible.

So the problem I have is when I am in the shower I get the classic extreme hot to extreme cold due to the water pressure fluctuating in the building. The faucet is a Moen push/pull type. My question is can I change the cartridge to an anti-scald type, or does that require changing the entire fixture. I do not have rear access, so in order to change out the entire fixture that would require having to rip out the tile, not something I want to do in a rental unit.

Thank you for any help/advice, and let me know if I need to give more information.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You would either replace the entire valve, or use a balancer on the pipes leading to the faucet.

Either way, you would need some access.
They do make remodel plates that help on this.

1920.jpg

Moen part 1920

attachment.php

Last edited:

xrionx

Reaction score
So they don't make a replacement cartridge that will provide anti-scald? Too bad, i was hoping to make this a simple repair. Thank you though!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

Rmove the trim plate and see if there is a large slotted cap/plug on the right side of the valve. Depending on what kind of building the apartment is in, it could be a Moentrol with a bad balancing spool.

xrionx

Reaction score
Do you know of any sites that have a picture of what that might look like? Im the meantime I'll take a picture and post it and see what people think. Thanks again for your help.

xrionx

Reaction score
Nevermind, I found pictures of what you are talking about. I will look at it when I get home tonight. If I do have a Moentrol are all the balancing spools the same? If not, how do I figure what model I have?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Easy to get also... Just call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and they will have it at your doorstep next day air for free.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I guess the customers that I have had get their free parts all opted to pay extra to has instant gratification by having the next day air... I knew I should have charged them more... LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks