Shower in the basement, do I dare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sincraft

Reaction score
Seems like every task I take on, gets more complicated.

This time, I'm adding a bedroom to a large portion of our finished basement. :(

We already have a half bath (toilet/sink) there. I'm assuming it was done correctly as every model of this house in our plan has the same half bath.

The question is however, how big of a deal would it be to add a shower stall? The stacks are about 10' away against the wall, the half bath is toward the middle of the house.

Is there a requirement to have a pump installed because the trap would be lower than the drain? I wouldnt think so as there is a drain very close by that I guess is there in case the water heater goes, I would assume that is trapped otherwise I would smell gas.

Could I simply break up the concrete up to the toilet and tie in there? My senses tell me NO and , that venting may be an issue. I still dont realize all this venting talk. None of our sinks/toilets is connected to vents that I can see. IE: I can see under teh unfinished part of the basement drain pipe coming from the kitchen sink, which runs to the main drain stack.

I really dont know where to start, and hate paying people to do what I could do but I think Im way over my head on this one.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In most places in the U.S., an install like this requires a permit and inspection. If you do not understand venting, you would not be likely to do this correctly, and it would probably in your best interest to get a licensed plumbing company on site.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks