Closet flange on concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

riftsawn

Reaction score
Good morning to ya. I have been frequenting your forum for a while now and I have found a wealth if information here. For the first time in probably a year I have actually encountered a problem that I couldn't find a post that already covered my question! So here it is. I am finishing my basement and I am in the process of putting down the flange so I can set the toilet. When the builder stubbed the rough-in in the concrete they wrapped the pipe in foam that is about 3/4" - 1" thick. When I first looked at it I was thrilled because I don't have to chip out any concrete... so I proceeded to finish the floor by pouring a self leveling underlayment, then tiling up to the foam. But now that I am ready to attach the flange I am looking closer and it seems that the holes that you would use to anchor the flange to the floor are very close to the edge of the concrete. My concern is that when I hammer drill the concrete for the anchors I will crack out the concrete and potentially the tile. I talked to the plumbing supply house I use and they said not to bother anchoring it to the floor that simply gluing an all plastic flange in would be sufficient (so it didn't twist like a metal ringed one could). Anyway this sounds like a half assed approach... so I am curaois what you good folk think and if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The HA approach is using an all plastic flange. I ALWAYS use the one with a metal flange, but have NEVER fastened one down, since the pipe under the floor is completely encased and fixed into position by the slab and fill under it, so the flange will not move.

riftsawn

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I was thinking that seasonal movement of the slab would be a problem... but if the slab is going to move the bedding right under it is too. Sounds like installing the flange is going to be a non-issue, especially seince I can use the metal ring flange. I've had bad experiences with the other myself. Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks