Help with copper pipe leak above water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

simps911

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope that this is the right place.
Basement.jpg

Right above there water softener there are three valves. The valve on the right seems to be leaking. I am not sure if it is the nut, or the actual copper pipe where it goes into the female end of the valve.

I tightened the nut and it seems to have stopped.

My question is, could it be possible that when the water softener kicks on it loosened up the nut, in turn causing the leak?

If not, or maybe in addition, should I reinforce the opening at the male/female portion of the copper pipe?

Thanks for your help

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Leaks in these older "gate valves" are common, and the usual (temporary) fix is to tighten the "bonnet" or "packing nut" as you have done. Sometimes the position of the valve (fully open or not) affects the leak. Longer term, you can re-pack the valve (a fairly simple operation) or replace the valve with a new ball valve. If you're going to replace the valve, you might as well do all 3, basically building a new bypass-valve assembly. But, if you've stopped the leak with a simple tightening of the packing nut, you're probably good for another 10 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks