Mansfield toilet overflows

Users who are viewing this thread

noel marais

Reaction score
I have two new Mansfield toilets; one works fine, the other periodically overflows because the trip lever gets stuck and doesn't drop down. It seems like a simple problem but how do I fix it?

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
What do you mean by overflows? that term normally means water running on to the floor

noel marais

Reaction score
That's right--gallons of water on the floor. It happened twice (on different days)--nothing solid in the toilet. It hasn't happened again (I don't use it very much) but I'm worried that it will happen when a guest uses it.

What *does* happen more frequently is that the valve doesn't close, and water keeps flowing into and out of the tank. I have to manually dislodge the lever so it will drop down and allow the valve to shut.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you post in the toilets forum? Same answer. You have a clog in the pipe somewhere or in the toilet. Regardless of how much your toilet leaks, any added water should overflow the bowl's weir and run down the drain. If that path is plugged, then it will back up and overflow the top of the bowl. Think about it...you have a 3/8" water pipe coming in and a 3-4" drain pipe under the toilet...no way you can run water into the toilet faster than that pipe can drain unless it is plugged somewhere along the way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A toilet will NOT overflow, regardless of how long the water is running from the tank, UNLESS, the drain line is obstructed so the water fills it up and then the toilet will overflow. You must have some kind of sewer problem, or a slow septic tank if you have one.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe you have 2 problems. First, the flapper is not doing its job of sealing the tank after flushing. This means the water will never fill the tank and will continue to run into the bowl. This by itself would only waste water as the water would continue to the drain. The second problem is a clogged line. If the flapper was functioning properly, the water would overflow after a flush but would stop as soon as the flushing was complete. A problem indeed, but it would not continue as the flapper would close and stop additional water from entering the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks