Question about basement plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Tameria11

Reaction score
We have an above concrete toilet and shower in the basement in the home we bought. I would like to install a proper shower, bath and toilet. How Do you know if you can break the floor and have enough room for plumbing I will be calling a plumber for the work, however I prefer to know before they come over and tell me. I like to know as much as I can before I commit on a big project.
all info would be very helpful.
A plumber will be doing most of the work as mentioned, I would just like to know what that plumbing would be from the good people on the forum
Dave

Finnegan

Reaction score
When you say "above concrete toilet and shower", I assume you mean that they are on a platform of some sort. If you want to determine how much available altitude you have under your slab, you should be able to do this by checking out the nearest cleanout. Wherever your main sewer pipe leaves your house, (if you are on a municipal sewer it will likely be in the front of your house. If you have a septic system, then it can be anywhere) there should be a 4" plug that you can remove (this may not be easy, especially without a large pipe wrench) and peak in with a flashlight. The main pipe should run horizontal and the cleanout should be on a 45 degree angle running with the flow of the pipe. This should give you an idea of how much space you have available.

Tameria11

Reaction score
You are correct, the present set up is raised, sort of like sitting on a throne. Of course when I stand up I knock myself out. I have a drain near my main stack, when I look in it I see about 4 inches clear than water, I guess this would be the trap? :confused:
Dave

Finnegan

Reaction score
If this is a floor drain (a big one) then yeah, that would be the trap. If it is not a floor drain, it could be a whole house trap which you see from time to time. It is going to be hard to tell from that trap how deep the sewer pipe to which the trap is attached is. Can you find a clean out which would have a plug with a raised square in the middle near that trap?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks