Rotate exhaust vent on new propane boiler install?

Users who are viewing this thread

thebordella

Reaction score
Hello,

I just had a new propane boiler installed which is working well, but I have one question/concern about the install.

Attached is a photo of the exhaust vent. It is oriented horizontally, so the warm air blows out sideways. I have two concerns about this.

One, it is somewhat noisy (like a hair dryer) and this seems to broadcast the noise across the property and can be heard from quite a distance, potentially annoying neighbors (though houses are fairly far apart here).

Two, some of that warm air is being blown against the siding of the house, which I noticed this morning is warm and wet (even though it is dry and very cold outside).

My first thought is, what about rotating the cap on this exhaust so it is vertical? The air would then blow upward toward the sky and downward toward the ground. Would there be a problem with this orientation?

Are there other ways to resolve this, possibly by adding a bend or other configuration to the exhaust pipe?

I will of course be asking the installer these same questions, but wanted to consult the expertise here on the boards.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 42260d1323441502-rotate-exhaust-vent-new-propane-boiler-install-camerazoom-20111209084031913[1].jpg
    42260d1323441502-rotate-exhaust-vent-new-propane-boiler-install-camerazoom-20111209084031913[1].jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 869

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With an opening pointing up/down, it's possible you could accumulate precipitation which could drain back to the unit. There are likely other terminators that might be put on that pipe, though. the installation manual may show some other variations or call the manufacturer.

Tray

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some manufactures require that the flue actually have a slight pitch down for condensation to run outside instead of back to boiler since non high eff equip have no drains. I would think vertical is proper, but either pipe term was twisted during assembly and never straightened, or there is a code bein avoided poss by turning it away from that regulator. check with your local gas and electric supplier

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks