How to buy a replacement control box question

Users who are viewing this thread

tyoc

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this stuff so bear with me. I lost pressure last night, it came back for a little bit but then completely gone this morning. Not freezing, found no leaks anywhere so I am pretty sure it is a problem with the well.
I checked the pressure control switch and it is for sure sending power to the control box. Box is humming/buzzing for a few seconds then stops, then buzzes again and then stops, over and over until I shut off power. The box is in bad shape with lots of rust so I suspect it is pretty old. We moved in here 5 years ago and the old lady we bought from did not give us any info on the well, and I didn't think to ask because I'd never had a well before. I do not know for sure what the HP of the pump is, nor how deep. I have heard rumors that wells are around 300' in the area but I have no idea how accurate that is.
Control box is made by Red Jacket pumps, and there is a small sticker inside reading:
Panel Assem NO.
264-110
50NI-CBP
1/2HP - 208/230V-60Hz-7.2amp
So according to that I have a 1/2 hp pump but I do not know it for sure because when I moved in there was a falling down storage shed with a broken submersible pump in amongst the junk. I threw it away with everything else (stupid that I did not take note of it's model/rating beforehand). So I know for sure that at one point it had a 1/2 hp pump but I don't know for sure that it still has that..but I guess at this point I will suspect it does.
I ran the tests as indicated on the inside lable of the box lid and everything checks out (if I understand it correctly) except the run capacitor reads 0 (meter didn't do anything at all) which is supposed to mean a shorted capacitor.
Soooo...I'm thinking I need a new capacitor at least, or a whole new control box would be fine with me. The thing is old and rusty. But I'm not sure as to where to buy one. The local well drilling company is not being very cooperative and really wants to come out and charge me a $100 service fee plus whatever inflated price for the box if that turns out to be the case which I suspect. But I see control boxes on **** for $30-$50 and I will have no trouble installing it myself. Do I need the exact type/brand/model of control box I took off? or can I use a comparable control box from a different maker? I'm sure to answer this question more info is required. Please let me know where I can go from here. I'm fine with being out of water for a little while, but wondering if it is a simple fix, or if this is going to be a major problem is stressful.
Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You need a box for a 1/2 hp pump and can buy them at any pump or plumbing supply house found in your yellow pages under the heading Pumps. Or most big box stores but you probably won't get the same quality box at any of them.

The brand of box doesn't matter but Franklin Electric is best; and most old pump motors are Franklin. You probably only need to change the lid on the box because all the 'stuff' is on the lid of a Franklin box but... you should do all the electrical checks on the pump and power cable because something wrong there can take out the capacitor. And replacing the capacitor to have it go bad again right away doesn't fix anything.

tyoc

Reaction score
thanks very much for the info. I didn't get a chance to check for replies until nearly 8pm but it was just enough time to get to Lowes before they closed and pick up a 1/2 hp control box. Hooked it up and all is well again. What a relief
I did check the amps drawn before changing the box and the peak was only 7 or 8...so I feel the motor itself is in good order.
Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks