Leaking sill cock

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottH

Reaction score
QUICK HELP!!! Leaking sill cock!!!

I have a leak at my sill cock outside. This is not an anti-siphon.

The handle is stripped so I went and bought a new handle. That wasn't the problem. The shaft that the handle connects to is loose. you can turn it to the right and left as many times as you want and it will keep going.

There is alittle play in and out as well. I'm not sure if the shaft needs replaced or not. I can't imagine that the problem can be fixed with washers, as every thing online says. The bigger problem for me is that my basement ceiling is completely finished an I have no access to the pipe. Do I need access? Or is this something that is easily fixed?

I would love to have complete instructions on how to replace this. My other concern is, can I do it myself? Not sure if local building code states a professional must do it?

Also, if it needs replaced, does it have to be replaced with an anti-siphon? If it does, is that going to be the job of a licensed plumber?

I hope there isn't too many questions and all this is understandable.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if you can rebuild the sill cock without removing it or not. Repairing these is not worth the effort in my opinion. I do understand your reluctance to mess up the finished basement, but that is what I would do. After the unit was replaced, I'd build an access door and trim it so that it would not be unattractive. Replace does require access to where the sill cock attaches to the water supply line. Do not even consider it otherwise. You will need two wrenches. One wrench to unscrew the sill cock and one wrench to apply counter force to avoid twisting the supply line. Once the old sill cock is unscrewed, it is pulled to the outside. Usually there are a couple of screws that on the outside that hold the sill cock snuggly against the side of the house and these must be removed. Installing the new sill cock is the reverse of removal. You will notice there is an arrow or similar mark on the inside end of the sill cock to indicate which side is up. Do you need a plumber? Only if you are completely inept with basic tools.

ScottH

Reaction score
I figured I would need to open the ceiling. Good advice on the access panel idea. Any idea on a COST estimate?

I was really hoping for an easier solution. But I wouldn't mind seeing what's hiding behind that drywall.:eek:

Thanks for your help Gary.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you DIY, all you are out is the cost of the sill cock. I'd guess somewhere around $20. Hire a plumber and it would likely be $200 or more. (This is why I'm a DIYer whenever possible)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks