Old Knob and tube removal

Users who are viewing this thread

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
So, I removed all of the old knob and tube from my attic and now I have several places where there is 3" of old wiring popping up from the ceiling where I cut the wires. I'm sure that there is no power coming to these wires now, but what do I do to give the next guy that comes along a level of comfort that they're dead, so they don't have to go through what I went through. Also, do I have to be worried about someone coming along and tying back into the old wires in the wall and restoring power to these wires? I'm thinking of just taping off all of the stubs and leaving them to rest under the insulation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Tape them off and push them back into the holes down in the wall. Seal up the holes with spray foam or some caulking.

Jason

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
People will collect anything. Somebody wrote into an antique column a couple of days ago that they collect paper soap wrappers -- had some going back to 1914, I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks