Rainbird SST900i won't work properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I used a Rainbird ISA408 for about 8 years, it died and I have been using another ISA408 for the past 5 years, until it blew a fuse after a severe lightning storm. I decided to try the SST900i, whenever I would press "water now" it would run for 20 to 30 seconds and quit, showing check wiring in zone #1. I put the zone #2 on the #1 terminal and got the same notice. I reset the panel and tried every zone on #1 with the same result.
The Rainbird help person was really trying to help and after 2 hours she concluded I have a wiring problem.
I reinstalled theISA408 with a new fuse. It ran perfectly, including starting at 4:00 AM. I put a clamp on ammeter on the wire going to the pump relay and got 0.02 amps. I put it on each of the 7 zones as they were running and got 0.23 to 0.25 amps.
Is the SST900i so sensitive that my CP100 sprinkler head amperage is too high for its automatic sensing circuit? If so are there any other timers that will work?

kurtze

Reporter
Reaction score
Hi mrmsharris... I also have a rainbird sst900i and have problems with zone 1 and zone 5. What I found was those two zones are in a separate part of the lawn (almost 2 acres). I dug up the valves and cut the old connections, cleaned the wire and reconnected. I then went to the other zones (another area of the lawn) and found the common line, cut those wires, cleaned and reconnected. That fixed the problem. So there is a problem with the wires I don't think it is the controller. That said, my system has been here for a long time. I bought the house 5 years ago. I have to add more heads to the zones and add one more zone so when I rent the trencher, I am going to replace all the wires. who knows if some goofball didn't put a splice somewhere in the yard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks