Installing sewage ejection pump

Users who are viewing this thread

chucka

Reaction score
My home is 7 yrs old and has two pump basins in the basement. One has a typical sump pump and is used to collect and eject outside ground water away from the foundation through a drain tile "leaching" system. The second is a sealed basin containing an ejection pump that is fed by the basement floor drain and ejected to the house sewer line. I want to install a basement bathroom and so I need to have an ejection pump basin large enough for a sewage ejection pump set-up. My question is (finally you say) can I remove the existing ejection pump and basin, install the larger sewage basin with solid waste ejection pump and then plumb the toilet, the sink, and also the floor drain to this basin? I was told that probably the existing basin is currently too small, so that is why I will replace it. I am trying to avoid installing a third basin in the basement if possible and the new bathroom fixtures will be located close to the existing ejection pump basin. This floor drain is used to collect condensate from the central air unit in the summer and the overflow water used in the powered humidification system in the winter.

Chuck

chucka

Reaction score
probably too small

HJ,

Thanks for the reply. I removed the cover from the ejection basin and measured the inside. It is 16" wide and 21" deep. Also, the pump is a standard sump pump. I have already purchased a new pump (Flotec 1/2 HP cast iron submersible solids handling pump). Looking at the directions that came with this pump it really appears that I do indeed need to replace the basin or install a new one. So, can I just replace the existing basin and allow the floor drain to empy into it along with the new bathroom plumbing? Or do I leave that basin alone and just install a complete new one?

Thanks again,

Chuck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
basin

You can do whichever makes your job easier. My preference, without seeing your installation, would be to replace the basin with the new one. But in your particular installation, that might not be the ideal solution.

chucka

Reaction score
Sounds good

The new installation is right next to the existing basin, so putting in the new one will be fine---and I should not have a problem with the floor drain going into the basin as well? Or instead of going directly into the basin, should the floor drain empty into the line from the toilet so that there is only one entry point into the basin?

Chuck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks