Metal Roofing Question ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Are metal rooms generally vented? How about older metal roofs?

A buddy has an old farm house with a metal roof and there doesn't appear to be any vents built into it. He wants to use blown insulation. Does he need to but in soffit (sp) baffles to keep airflow though again I don't see any existing built in thus far.

Thanks

Tom

Widgeonus

Reaction score
I just had a metal roof installed 2 months ago and it has a vented ridge cap.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that it depends...

A standing seam roof is installed flat on the decking and would transmit a fair amount of heat into the attic through conduction (although it might reflect some back)...this would likely benefit from venting. Ridge vents, soffit vents.

A raised profile such as a wooden shake style might not benefit since it has about 1/2-3/4" of clearance underneath it so it acts like a good reflective barrier and the gap prevents any conductive heating.

regardless of the roof type, though, ventilating the attic is normally a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks