Water in the bottom of water softner salt tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

JBoogie

Reaction score
I had a small crack in the bottom of my tank and after repairing it i did a manual recharge before adding fresh salt (to make sure everything was working ok). After the manual recharge was done there is about 4 or 5 inches of water still in the bottom of the salt tank. Is this water supposed to stay in the salt tank?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
softener

Depending on the unit, some add water to the tank at the beginning of the cycle, in which case there is just a small amount of water in the tank, and others refill the tank after the cycle completes which means there is up to 18" of water in the tank.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I had a small crack in the bottom of my tank and after repairing it i did a manual recharge before adding fresh salt (to make sure everything was working ok). After the manual recharge was done there is about 4 or 5 inches of water still in the bottom of the salt tank. Is this water supposed to stay in the salt tank?

Thanks.
I take it you mean a crack in your salt tank. Usually no repair will last long if at all.

If you didn't add any water to the brine tank before doing the manual regeneration, there was no water to be sucked during brine draw and the softener could have sucked air but the water in the tank is either from brine refill as HJ says (Pre or Post refill) or the control valve could be allowing water to the brine tank when it shouldn't. Your control valve probably has post refill.

You should add like 20 lbs of salt and do another manual regeneration and then check your repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks