Outside Wall Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

dssxxxx

Reaction score
Been reading for quite a while and the forums have been a vast wealth of information on the upcoming bath remodal.

We are taking the masterbath and hallway bath (bi-level) and making into one larger bathroom. Total area is approx. 11' x 9.5'.

After laying out the plans with the GC, we have one vanity on a outside wall and the wife wants to put main controls of the shower on an inside wall, but have one of the showerheads on the same outside wall (corner shower approx. 60" x 36"). I have not discussed this in details with the GC.

Question?

Can we use this outside wall for the plumbing for the vanity and also the shower? We are in New Jersey, and as some of you know, the winters get quite cold.

If the answer is yes, it is OK; is there any special insulation that must be done around piping on the outside wall?

Thank for your help.

Harold

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would not suggest installing any water lines or even the shower riser in an outside wall, you're asking for problems. Insulation will not protect the piping from freezing and bursting, it will only slow the freezing process down a bit.
Remember the single digit temps last winter? :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks