Ceiling fan running slow

Users who are viewing this thread

blah204

Reaction score
I need a little understanding why my ceiling fan is running SO slow, PLEASE! I have a ceiling fan with lights attached to it. The lights are are on a seperate switch and that switch is a slide dimmer switch. The fan is on a regular 120 switch. When the fan starts up it starts slow and steadily gets to its max speed. It does have 3 different speeds. Each speed is different, but still extremely slow (50, 100, 150 RPM respectively) estimate of course, but not far of. I'm just trying to understand what it could be. It has done this ever since we got it. I'm pretty sure its wired correctly. I don't know how it couldn't be. Wouldn't it not work at all if it was miswired? Meaning the lights wouldn't work, the speeds wouldn't change? Thanks

Ford2001

Reaction score
You don't use slide dimmer for ceiling/paddle fans, their used for lighting. Buy a control that made for ceiling/paddle fan. Ask a store clerk for help.

blah204

Reaction score
The slide dimmer is for the lights. The fan and lights are seperate from each other. They use different switches. If I'm not mistaken, the only thing they share is a neutral and GND. One thing I found was that the Start/Run Capacitor could be causing this. My only problem is, wouldn't that effect all 3 speeds. Meaning, wouldn't all 3 speeds run the same.

Ford2001

Reaction score
Blah 204, I read your post wrong. Did you run a three wire cable to the ceiling fan with light kit. That goes, black, red, white, bare copper ground. Are you sure the dimmer which control's the ceiling fan light kit, is wired to the correct wire, that feed the lights. It easy to get cross. Suggestion: I would double check my circuit wiring first. Then I would removed the slide dimmer and replace with on/off toggle switch. If the 3-speed fan, with its pull chain doesn't operate correctly, then take back to the store you purchase it from for a new. Good Luck,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks