new boiler and indirect install w/pics

Users who are viewing this thread

CtSebby

Reaction score
This is our first install of a boiler. does everything look ok. and comments positive or negative are welcome.

the old beast:
boilerpicseraseafter021.jpg

boilerpicseraseafter020.jpg

boilerpicseraseafter022.jpg

boilerpicseraseafter023.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The circulators should have been on the feeds
The relief valves need to be piped to within 6" of the floor
Is that a plug in the vent opening of the back flow preventer?
The oil line needs to be clipped up and protected
The circulator on the indirect should not be down there on the floor.
The wiring needs to be straightened out and attached better
The water feed valve shoud be piped above the expansion tank.
Where is the low water cut off?

CtSebby

Reaction score
So my install says rookie all over it.
The circulators should have been on the feeds
my old circulators were on the return and the install instructions said they could be on the return. Will they be ok?
The relief valves need to be piped to within 6" of the floor
that's on the list
Is that a plug in the vent opening of the back flow preventer?
yes it had a slight drip. Any idea why the drip?
The oil line needs to be clipped up and protected
how should I protect it? With 2*4s boxed out or somthing?
The circulator on the indirect should not be down there on the floor.
your right I'll plum it next to the others
The wiring needs to be straightened out and attached better
done
The water feed valve shoud be piped above the expansion tank.
could that be the reason the back flow preventer had a slight drip to it.
Where is the low water cut off?
The instructions said it was optional and I was going to buy it anyway but the supply house said I didn't really need it. I guess you recommend one

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So my install says rookie all over it.

As long as you are pumping away from expansion tank you should be ok with the pump on the return side of the boiler. But by the looks of the system you seem to be pumping into the expansion tank.

The boiler feed only needs to be connected below the spiro-vent to help eliminate any air the is introduced into the system a little quicker. It's just the preferred method.

The drip in the venting could be condensing flue gases. This would not be a good thing and would most likely be caused by to low of return temps (130-140 min). Once this happens it just get worse and worse because your heat exchanger will start to get plugged up. The flue gases condense and then trap particles in the flue gases.

Or you could have a failed rain cap on the top of the vent and you're getting rain water in the venting!

The atmospheric port on the BFP will drip when there is a sudden change in pressures. IE if the boiler system pressure jumps quickly and the house pressure drops when someone opens a faucet. Especially where you have it piped on the supply of the boiler (hottest water temps). You're also pumping into the backflow preventer which isn't helping.

Move the boiler feed to tie in under the expansion tank and repipe the system so that you are pumping away from the expansion tank.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
For your first boiler install as a Diyer I'd say its pretty good.
Ive seen pro installs that can't even hold a flame to yours.

These are pros here so take the critique. Not everyone does everything the same and there are somethings that eveyone should be doing the same.

Don't be discouraged, just make some of the fixes that were mentioned to you here and you'll be closer to a Great install.

Low Water Cutoff is code in most places...plus its cheap insurance to protect your new equipment even if its not required.

frostnip

Reaction score
I am no boiler expert but the one thing that I see that bugs me is the plywood where you have the electronics mounted appears to be in close proximity to the exhaust stack. I personally would ditch that and use masonry anchors.

I'll bet you are great at sweating copper pipes now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks