Should I change my cast radiators to baseboard?

Users who are viewing this thread

dustpol

Reaction score
I bought a house that has a gas boiler with circulating hot water. It previously was a steam system and I have all of the original cast iron radiators in use with the system. The pipes coming out of the boiler are 2" in diameter and the pipes branching out to the radiators look like they are 1 1/2. I was wondering if it would be worth my while to change all of the piping and swap the radiators for baseboard. My thought was that the amount of water that I have to heat now in the larger pipe is causing my boiler to run more. Has anyone had any experience with making this change? Can anyone let me know what kind of savings I would see if I made the change to 3/4 pipe with baseboard heat? I plan on keeping the house for at least 5 more years and I want to see if spending the money on this upgrade would pay. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

Unless you insulate the piping, 3/4" copper has a much higher ratio of volume to surface area, plus copper is a better heat transferer, so you will get more heat loss with the baseboard. You would probably have to break it down into multiple zones so that 3/4" would be adequate. Other than heat loss from the piping, you are only heating whatever it takes to replace the heat used to warm the rooms. Baseboard may, or may, not heat them more efficiently and if so that might generate some savings. Whether it would be enough to compensate for the cost of the conversion is debateable.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I have hot water cast iron radiators & love them
Compared to baseboard they (seem to?) keep the heat longer & radiate the heat longer. Makes sense since they have a higher mass
In my new addition I actually plan to add more radiators instead of baseboard

patsfan78

Web Development | HVAC
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechheat.com
No baseboard

Baseboard, although fairly economical to install is the least efficient form of hot water heating out there. If you want to replace your cast iron radiators i would consider Steel Panel Radiators. The may cost a little more but you can get more BTU's at lower water temperatures than baseboard. The best things is that you don't take up all of that wall space. Some of the better steel panel radiators are made by a company called Pensotti.

Good Luck

Mike
www.hitechheat.com
Home Heating Solutions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks