DWV Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

BobSmith

Reaction score
I am finishing off some new space that was added to the second story of my house, and will be creating a master bedroom suite from this space and an existing bedroom. I plan on moving the current bathroom and adding a new bathroom for the master bedroom. The plan is to run the waste lines in the same direction as the floor joists to minimize the need for boring holes. The two toilets will be on one 3" waste line, the first approx 3 feet from the stack, the other approx 10 (11?).

There are two back-to-back closets in the foyer and kitchen on the first floor below that have ceilings about one foot shorter than the other rooms. I am assuming that this was to allow for the connections to the stack in the current bathroom above.

The joists are 2 X 10. I believe I am correct that I will have the space to run this line, and still maintain the proper slope, but would like confirmation.

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You will know a lot more when you open things up...but in terms of slope...you need 2½" over ten feet, so top to bottom a 3
pipe needs just 6" of 'wiggle room'.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Trying to do the plumbing for ONE bathroom between joists would be difficult for a DIYer, doing TWO and doing them correctly may be almost impossible, and your statement about where the two toilets will be sort of reinforces the opinion that YOU are not a plumber, but actually believe anyone can do plumbing if the know how to put two pieces of pipe together.

BobSmith

Reaction score
HJ,

Have you always been this big a prick, or did you have to get special training? I didn’t say I was doing the work myself. I am just kicking around some ideas for a floor plan and want to know if this is even an option.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
depot.jpg

You can do it......We can help :cool:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOU do the floor plan, and the plumber will figure out how to do the plumbing, and will suggest revisions if there are insurmountable problems. If you are not going to do it, then it is NOT your problem. Architects NEVER worry about how we are going to install the plumbing when they draw the houses. No special training, just 60 years of experience working on it, but my wife's uncles, who were journeymen working under me while I was an apprentice would probably tell you I had a head start.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks