Kitchen otr micro wave

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
I am wanting to mount an over-the-range microwave to the underside of a cabinet that I will be installing about six inches from the wall surface (this cabinet will stand out from the rest- all 12" deep- but MW will still be against wall).

I have a 20A dedicated feed going to it but what is correct connection code? Do I install a 20A receptacle in the wall surface (5/8" fire rated) and connect it to another receptacle box mounted in the rear face of the cabinet (I would like to keep the metal box on the wall surface to keep it within fire code)?

I also want to mount a 15A receptacle next to it for under counter lamps.

Is it allowable that the wall receptacle box be wired to the cabinet box (face flush with rear face of cabinet) with flexible conduit?

Any and all suggestions (other than my dealing with reality) are welcomed... :cool:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Any receptacle in place for an otr micro would be a bad place to try to plug in counter top lamps. I would bring the wiring for the microwave receptacle out of the wall in MC flex conduit to a box flushed to the back side of the cabinet.

One issue will be the location of the cord for the microwave...it may come up in that 6" dead space, meaning the receptacle could be flush to the actual back wall. No matter how you slice that, I don't know how you would plug lamps into it.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
Any receptacle in place for an otr micro would be a bad place to try to plug in counter top lamps. I would bring the wiring for the microwave receptacle out of the wall in MC flex conduit to a box flushed to the back side of the cabinet.

One issue will be the location of the cord for the microwave...it may come up in that 6" dead space, meaning the receptacle could be flush to the actual back wall. No matter how you slice that, I don't know how you would plug lamps into it.

The microwave outlet is often inside the cabinet above it so it can be accessed without pulling the MW.

Yes, a receptacle and box would be in the cabinet. There would be a separate 15A box and receptacle next to it. I am just unsure how to correctly feed the cabinet boxes. It seems that on a firewall it would require an outlet in the wall and then again in the cabinet. Is it permissible to use flex originating from a hole in the wall? I want it (MW) to be easily removed/replaced in case of repair and/or replacement.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confused about what you are doing but.... once you shift the top cabinet 6 inches forward the cord from the top of the microwave will most likely not come out inside the cabinet. It will be behind it. In which case put the plug in the wall, plug in the microwave behind the cabinet and then mount it. **You will probably need to notch the bottom back edge of the cabinet to allow the wire to slip through as you move the MW into position so be prepared for that possibility.

And if you wanted and outlet in the cabinet you don't need to use flex. Just pull the romex out of the wall and then into the outlet box mounted in the back of the cabinet. The wiring will be concealed and so long as there is no risk of damage to the wiring flex is overkill. If you still feel there is a need to use flex surface mount a jbox on the wall and then run the flex between the jbox and the box in the back of the cabinet.

-rick

Last edited:

KULTULZ

Reaction score
THANX RICK,

You have my idea correct, but I just wanted to be able to do it to code. I want the steel box(es) in the wall to also be used as a fire stop. And the box(es) in the cabinet for aesthetic reasons. The 15A lamp outlet will be on a separate feed.

Thanks Guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks